Incoming USA ASAT Classic & Advice On New Amp

Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:26 pm

Hello all, another newbie here!

I've got an ASAT Classic that should be here in about a week or so. It'll be my second G&L, the other being a long since sold '93 S-500 (which I loved).

I'm making the switch back to electric after many years of acoustic playing. I'll be getting a new amp, and wondered if anyone here had input on the ones on my short list. It will strictly be for home use.

Reeves Custom 6 (1x12 combo)
Reason Bambino (1x12 combo)

I had the Gries 5 on the list initially, but then realized it is based on a Champ circuit and took it off. I had a Swart Space Tone a few years back and while I really liked the amp, it couldn't produce the grind I wanted. The cleans however were awesome!!

Anyway, the Reeves is Class A, and the Bambino is class A/B (push-pull circuit).

They are both on the list because of the 12" speaker in lieu of the 8's and 10's commonly found on these low wattage amps.

Does anyone here have any experience with either Reeves or Reason amps? If so I'd appreciate your input.

At this time I am leaning heavily towards the Reeves.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Incoming USA ASAT Classic & Advice On New Amp

Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:32 pm

Know nothing of either amp really, but if the Reeves is a Hi-Watt "clone", it should be well made and sound awesome.

Bill

Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:51 am

You guys in the States are spoiled for choice - I'm jealous!

I'll recommend that Reeves, I haven't ever played through one, but if, like it claims, it's like a JTM then it'll have some of the best overdriven guitar sounds ever in it.

Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:09 pm

I recently picked up a heritage Patriot amp. I've played a ASAT Classic S and a ASAT Classic Blues boy through it. ASAT's sound FANTASTIC through these amps. Although Heritage no longer makes these amps, they are worth hunting down. They are point to point hand wired, so any amp tech can repair them if needed.

Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:22 am

You can add power scaling to the reeves for 150, that is a very nice feature (lets you get power amp breakup at pretty much any volume level if you want it).

Otherwise the other looks fine, but 8W is a bit loud to crank indoor (slightly less than 1/2 as loud as 100W, 10W is half as loud as 100. ) A quick and dirty 'volume level check' is 2^log(the wattage of the amp over the reference (100) so 2^log(w1/100).