View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 How do I set up a G & L guitar 

Post How do I set up a G & L guitar
I bought my first G & L last year and really like these guitars, I think I'll probably own a few more down the road. I currently have a S-500 Tribute (Korea). I want to set up the guitar a little better and go back to 10 gauge strings. (I did not alter the nut when I put on 9's so it is still factory) I've looked at the manual on the G & L website (http://www.glguitars.com/faq/GLmanual.pdf). It refers to setting up a guitar with the 3 bolt neck that has the micro tilt. Can I use this manual to set up my guitar and just omit the micro tilt adjustment? I'm really new to adjusting my own guitars but I feel quite confident with the help of the manual. Any help, tips, info or advise though would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Will

Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:26 am

Post Re: How do I set up a G & L guitar
Yes, you can just ignore the micro tilt. The micro tilt is more for making a good setup immaculate in the right hands. In the wrong hands... haha

Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:35 am

Post Re: How do I set up a G & L guitar
Hi Will, and welcome to the forum.

It should be easy. You will see that the bridge sticks up from the body more with higher string gauges. To make it sit back properly you'll need to tighten the springs in the vibrato system at the rear of the guitar. If you get fret buzz you may need to alter the action by raising the saddles a little. I go by feel rather than getting the feeler gauges out, but by all means follow the manual for a guide, this being your first time and all.

I'd recommend playing around with the pickup height too - adjust them up or down to get the 'best' sound with your setup, and even output is important. Not enough people do this and on a 3 pickup guitar like the S500 it can make a big difference. Just don't put them too high as the magnetic pull can put the pitch of the strings ever so slightly out.

Best of luck with it. It does take a bit of practice to get it right, especially on guitars with vibrato systems, but you'll save yourself a lot of money in the long term.

Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]