the #4 neck

Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:26 am

A couple folks have commented on it recently. I have been curious about it for some time. I have really big hands and thought I would dig the wider neck.. anybody here prefer it?

Re: the #4 neck

Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:33 am

I did not go for the #4, but I have an ASAT inc with #3 (11/16 opposed to 5/8ths) I like more space on the fretboard for bends and such, my hands are pretty average I would say. This was the closest to the width of my Carvins, I don't like heavy radii, or when strings are too close together near the nut. Unfortunately G&L doesn't offer heavier than 12" radius USA otherwise I would have gotten the. If it is an issue, I can always get the radius changed during a refret (depends how much I like the stock nickel steel frets, I have a love affair with stainless steel frets).

Normally I would say meh 1/16 of an inch, no big deal. But that would contradict all experience I have between a roomy feeling board, and a tight one.

Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:52 am

sirmyghin wrote: Unfortunately G&L doesn't offer heavier than 12" radius USA otherwise I would have gotten the.

Actually they do have one model with a 13.75" radius neck: the Jerry Cantrell Signature Model Rampage.

Hope this helps.

Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:07 am

Thanks Craig, and the nut dimension slots it at a modified #4 neck?

Otherwise that model is a little funny looking to me, and the whole only bridge pickup / volume knob, I may primarily use bridge pickups but never felt the need to cripple other options on the way. Not even a coil split at that.

Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:58 am

+1 on the #4 neck. I had one of two Trinity's with the #4 neck and I must say that in addition to the feel and profile, the spacing was very comfortable and particularly so for finger style, or when grabbing some extra notes using the fingers and thumb together. Also, being a Gibson player the 1 11/16" width of the #4 was very familiar even though the scale length is different. Hope this helps. J-

Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:17 pm

jonc wrote:+1 on the #4 neck. I had one of two Trinity's with the #4 neck and I must say that in addition to the feel and profile, the spacing was very comfortable and particularly so for finger style, or when grabbing some extra notes using the fingers and thumb together. Also, being a Gibson player the 1 11/16" width of the #4 was very familiar even though the scale length is different. Hope this helps. J-

If the neck width at the nut measures 1 11/16" then it is a #3 neck. The #4 neck will be 1 3/4" width.

Hope this helps.

Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:24 pm

sirmyghin wrote:Thanks Craig, and the nut dimension slots it at a modified #4 neck?

Otherwise that model is a little funny looking to me, and the whole only bridge pickup / volume knob, I may primarily use bridge pickups but never felt the need to cripple other options on the way. Not even a coil split at that.

The neck width at the nut is 1 3/4", which is the same as the #4 neck. But, I don't know if the slots are spaced exactly the same as a #4 neck.

Hope this helps.

Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:45 pm

Thanks for the clarification Craig. I was almost certain # 4 is 1 11/16th. Or was on the Trinity as least?