Replacement nut help?

Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:39 pm

I want to replace the stock nut on my 2009 G&L Tribute Legacy Natural Gloss with a bone nut. It is generally listed as being 1 5/8" width with a 9" radius, though I saw somewhere where it was listed as 12" radius. ANYWAY...

The standard Strat 1 5/8" nut that I see for sale on the web is listed as a 9.5" radius, so I'm thinking that 1/2" is significant enough that it wouldn't be a wise choice. Any suggestions as to where I can get one?

Re: Replacement nut help?

Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:59 pm

Anybody?

Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:09 pm

StevieG73 wrote:I want to replace the stock nut on my 2009 G&L Tribute Legacy Natural Gloss with a bone nut. It is generally listed as being 1 5/8" width with a 9" radius, though I saw somewhere where it was listed as 12" radius. ANYWAY...

The standard Strat 1 5/8" nut that I see for sale on the web is listed as a 9.5" radius, so I'm thinking that 1/2" is significant enough that it wouldn't be a wise choice. Any suggestions as to where I can get one?

The MIK Tribute Legacy had a 12" radius neck. The MII Tributes all have 9" radius necks.
I think you will want to get a replacement nut with the same radius.

Hope this helps.

Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:29 pm

Craig wrote:The MIK Tribute Legacy had a 12" radius neck. The MII Tributes all have 9" radius necks.

Hmmmm. I took my 2009 (SN: 0901XXXXX) MII Tribute Legacy to Guitar Center (a mistake in itself) to have a nut made, and when he mesured the radius, it was 12". Strange...

As for the GC-fabricated nut, he hand made it from a oversized blank. It now holds a tune better, but he inexplicalby made the high E/string 1 side noticably shorter (above the fretboard), so even with the string height adjusted above where I want it, I'm getting a slight string buzz when I play it open. There is a lesson to be learned here... :silent:

Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:01 pm

put a very very small piece of paper under the high E, it might get er done.

Probably still a better choice than a stock nut, as you have to consider fret height too when you get those.