I couldnt believe it

Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:28 am

I walked into a pawn shop a week ago and saw a black G&L Legacy on the wall, asked how much they wanted for it (thinking something like $450-$500) and the guy said "eh, $125..." I had to try so hard not to show my excitement! This guy had no idea what he had... I plugged it in and the bridge p/u didnt work so I talked him down to $110!!! That was the best money Ive ever spent! The guitar is a nice and clean mid 90s model, made in the USA with a maple neck and black finish with a white pickguard. It was the deal of a lifetime!!!

Re: I couldnt believe it

Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:57 am

Wow, what a score, truss rod works too?

Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:50 am

the neck is straight, action is low, finish is great....the only thing about it when i got it was the bridge p/u wasnt working but it was a quick $30 fix. im going to be playing live with it for the first time tonight. i think my MIM strat will just be sitting there for 3/4 of the night...

Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:03 am

Aye but straight neck =/= unfrozen / broken truss rod. Just something one should always check. For that price, even with a broken truss rod it would be worth it (although depending if it is a bicut neck or fretboard on single) would determine how fixable it is, a truss rod routed under a fingerboard can range around 500$ to repair I hear (have to steam off the board and go from there).

Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:23 am

im pretty sure its working. i took it to a music shop two minutes after i bought it and the dude said it had a dip in the neck and adjusted it right there...i cant wait to play that thing tonight!!!

Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:26 am

@Tim
i cant believe that i found it! and to think that it had been in there for any amount of time at that price and nobody walked out with it before i did. all i can say is god bless the guy at the pawn shop for not knowing what he had!

Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:59 am

j_josh wrote:im pretty sure its working. i took it to a music shop two minutes after i bought it and the dude said it had a dip in the neck and adjusted it right there...i cant wait to play that thing tonight!!!

Ah, ok if he could adjust it , it is fine. I look forward to seeing how this truss rod on G&Ls responds compared to the 'dual-action' I am used to. It appears it only works in 1 direction (remove relief) opposed to being able to add it though. I suppose the methodology is the strings will add relief if the rod isn't subtracting it.

Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:12 am

dude i know how that feels its like that first time on stage. i went to my local pawn and found a 94 l2000 clear green, #6 neck and got it for 175 bucks with the hard case took it home and cleaned it and every thing was fine the funk on the paint protected it i guess cus it looks new put a new battery in it and all electronics work great truss is good best bass i ever owned

Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:31 am

That is quite the story on getting your L-2000. Sometimes is seems to be worthwhile that G&L is not the 'big' brand it should be and pawnshop owners don't realize what they have. But then again, also makes me wonder how they got it into the shop since somebody must bring in these instruments in and sell them to the shop at an even lower price ... :?

Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:05 am

yowhatsshakin wrote:That is quite the story on getting your L-2000. Sometimes is seems to be worthwhile that G&L is not the 'big' brand it should be and pawnshop owners don't realize what they have. But then again, also makes me wonder how they got it into the shop since somebody must bring in these instruments in and sell them to the shop at an even lower price ... :?

A steal of a deal on a deal of a steal? ;)

Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:42 pm

i would be kicking myself for the rest of my life if i didnt grab that thing right then and there. and im eternally grateful that g&l isnt as popular among "non-guitarists" as fender is. if not, i wouldnt be the proud owner of an american made G&L...

Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:14 pm

Sadly, if the headstock doesnt say "Fender" or "Gibson" many people think it's a crappy no-name instrument.

Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:08 am

A quick ebay search on completed auctions for the model name is all it takes to find the true value of these guitars. I thought that all pawn shops were doing that these days but you guys found some that were either too lazy to look up the value or they didn't care.

Either way - great score! Thats the way it used to be before the mid-90's and pawn shops getting internet connections.

Any G&L for that kind of money is a no brainer!

Have fun with it!

Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:07 pm

ya my pawn guy is old school, hand writes receipts and probably couldn't turn a pc on let alone use it. hes a good guy tho

Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:22 pm

Nice bass btw! I want to post some pics of my Legacy but haven't figured it out yet...

Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:38 pm

j_josh wrote:Nice bass btw! I want to post some pics of my Legacy but haven't figured it out yet...

Have to use a off site hosting, like photobucket or imageshack

then put [I-MG] url of photo [/I-MG]

ignore the hyphen there in the IMG though, I put it so it didn't try to ignore the tags (think I was putting in a photo)