help nailing down the history of my Legacy

Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:04 pm

I found the code '114' written on an unpainted rectangle of wood on the body underneath the pickguard underneath a clearcoat. And '2-5' or possibly '2-S' written in black marker or paint on the red paint of the body underneath the pickguard. The guitar serial number is bracketed by early year 1993 models, but i havent had the neck off yet. Any idea what '114' and '2-5' mean on the body?

Also. my guitar has an 8 screw hole pickguard, but when i took it off i noticed that it was drilled for both 8 and for 11 hole pickguards, with the extra holes used for an 11 hole filled with varying amounts if thin wood stuck down in the hole as if to fill it. Is this normal??? I know 11 hole strat pickguards won't fit it, did G&L use 11 and 8 hole pickguards in 1993?

thanks

Re: help nailing down the history of my Legacy

Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:38 am

I can't say what 114 or 2-s is,
but it's interesting that my 92 Legacy has the same sort of cryptic markings under the pickguard,
also in an unpainted part under the clearcoat.

Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:12 am

Elwood, maybe yours once belonged to Jay Leno, hence the 'Chin King'? :D

Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:21 am

sirmyghin wrote:Elwood, maybe yours once belonged to Jay Leno, hence the 'Chin King'? :D

:lol:
Good one !!

Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:57 pm

GOONBASH wrote:I found the code '114' written on an unpainted rectangle of wood on the body underneath the pickguard underneath a clearcoat. And '2-5' or possibly '2-S' written in black marker or paint on the red paint of the body underneath the pickguard. The guitar serial number is bracketed by early year 1993 models, but i havent had the neck off yet. Any idea what '114' and '2-5' mean on the body?

Also. my guitar has an 8 screw hole pickguard, but when i took it off i noticed that it was drilled for both 8 and for 11 hole pickguards, with the extra holes used for an 11 hole filled with varying amounts if thin wood stuck down in the hole as if to fill it. Is this normal??? I know 11 hole strat pickguards won't fit it, did G&L use 11 and 8 hole pickguards in 1993?

thanks

They may indicate the number used by the craftsperson who shaped and/or sanded the body. It is too short to be the order build number which can be in that location.

To my knowledge, G&L has never used 11 hole pickguards. It is likely that a previous owner replaced the original with one and then at a later date that 11 hole pickguard was replaced
with a correct 8 hole pickguard, perhaps the original one.

Hope this helps.

Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:19 pm

I thought that was fishy. But if g&L didnt use an 11 hole then the guy before me would have had to use a strat 11 hole and cut it to fit around the dual fulcrum whammy bridge and the different size neck pocket, right? that seems like a lot of trouble rather than just replace the pickups themselves, everything else about the guitar seems original. it was posted on another thread here or maybe in a different forum that according to Chandler 1993 was a weird yeard regarding pickguards for G&L, any thoughts on if that could be true. i've held an 11 hole strat pickguard up to my legacy and it doesnt look like it fits right at the neck or bridge and the selector switch seemed further from the knobs on the strat guard.
thanks.

Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:27 pm

GOONBASH wrote:I thought that was fishy. But if g&L didnt use an 11 hole then the guy before me would have had to use a strat 11 hole and cut it to fit around the dual fulcrum whammy bridge and the different size neck pocket, right? that seems like a lot of trouble rather than just replace the pickups themselves, everything else about the guitar seems original. it was posted on another thread here or maybe in a different forum that according to Chandler 1993 was a weird yeard regarding pickguards for G&L, any thoughts on if that could be true. i've held an 11 hole strat pickguard up to my legacy and it doesnt look like it fits right at the neck or bridge and the selector switch seemed further from the knobs on the strat guard.
thanks.

I will see what I can find out from one of my contacts at G&L.

Stay tuned.

Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:09 am

thanks. i appreciate it. i live on a mountain and have no contacts. lol.