Ah, NOW I see what the big deal is ...

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:29 pm

I'm new to this forum and also the new proud owner of a gorgeous 2008 s-500: vintage white, tortoise shell pickguard, RW fretboard. Here's the kicker: original pups were replaced with Rocketfire Total '60's. Just purchased it on ebay from what seems like a heck of a stand-up guy for a more-than-fair price.

I've been playing a '96 MexiTele for years. Good guitar, but whenever someone talks about REALLY NICE guitars, I haven't been able to relate. I've actually never sat down for any significant length of time with a really nice electric guitar (I played a friends Gibson ES335 through a really nice amp and thought it sounded OKAY). I recently made the decision to lay down some cash for a high-end electric. After A LOT of research, I decided on a G&L based purely on the overwhelmingly positive feedback. I knew it was risky to base the decision on this (I did play my guitar instructor's Ash G&L for a few moments) as well as a "sight unseen" Ebay deal.

After a few adjustments, I plugged it in and...Holy Crap!! Moving up and down the fretboard felt like skating on ice. Effortless bends. AND THE TONE! I don't think these Rocketfire's are all that well known and, admittedly, I'm not an expert on pickups, but they sound absolutely stellar. My Tele has nice pickups (SD Lil '59 in the bridge, SD stacked humbucker in the middle and MIM bridge pickup). I've gotten many comments on my tone, BUT this guitar is in a league of its own. It's difficult to describe: the guitar is light, smooth, balanced. The sound is clear, bell-like, thumpy with a solid attack. Playing it made me emotional (in a good way, of course!) and I'm sure I had a stupid grin on my face. But I don't care. I find myself privileged to be counted among those who experience the joy of having a G&L in their hands.

Glad to be part of this group! posting.php?mode=post&f=36#

Re: Ah, NOW I see what the big deal is ...

Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:09 pm

Rocketfire pickups are very sweet and I've only heard good things about them. That said, you should drop by a shop that has a S-500 with the stock pick-ups and see what you think of the MFD's. In any event sounds like you have yourself one very fine G&L. Grin all you want!!!

Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:15 pm

Alrightee, then. I think I will!

Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:31 am

congrats, Jumboman, and welcome to the 'club' :alright:

Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:38 am

MFD pups are amazing! :banana:

Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:43 pm

Congrats, not only on a great new guitar, but also being in on one of the best kept secrets of electric guitars! And welcome!!

Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:07 pm

GypsyHook wrote:MFD pups are amazing! :banana:

G&L's are amazing!

Welcome to the community.