Which model G&L

Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:28 pm

Decided to get a G&L but not sure which model is best for me. I have narrowed it down to a s500 , Skyhawk or Legacy. I am a fan of Hendrix and Gilmour sounds but wouldn't mind a guitar that can sound good doing a little Zeppelin. I heard an incredible Comfortably Numb on You tube with the s500 but have heard the Legacy sound well also.I live on an island and can't find any here to play so I have only been able to hear a few videos on youtube to help me with my decision. I'm just having a hard time with which one I would be happiest with. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you

Re: Which model G&L

Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:40 am

depends on which zep tunes you're thinking of. A lot of his work was played on a telecaster even though he is typically associated with the Les Paul -- and then there's the matter of the different amps, effects, etc., all these guys used.

In my opinion, since you're making classic rock references, I'd go with a Legacy. If you need to cover more musical landscape then go for the S-500

It's not like you can make a bad choice deciding between a Legacy or an S-500, either one will be terrific -- this is why I'd say, ultimately, get both! 8-)

Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:47 pm

ieso wrote:In my opinion, since you're making classic rock references, I'd go with a Legacy. If you need to cover more musical landscape then go for the S-500

It's not like you can make a bad choice deciding between a Legacy or an S-500, either one will be terrific -- this is why I'd say, ultimately, get both! 8-)

This is absolutely correct. There's not a bad decision but based on your tastes go for the Legacy. On either guitar you will be free to change the pickups if you don't like them easily enough. I don't own an S-500 but FWIW there's an S-500 pickup in the middle position on my ASAT Classic S and it sounds fantastic.

Are you going to be ordering one to your own specs? Or are you going to buy online?

Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:33 pm

blargfromouterspace wrote:
ieso wrote:In my opinion, since you're making classic rock references, I'd go with a Legacy. If you need to cover more musical landscape then go for the S-500

This is absolutely correct. There's not a bad decision but based on your tastes go for the Legacy. On either guitar you will be free to change the pickups if you don't like them easily enough. I don't own an S-500 but FWIW there's an S-500 pickup in the middle position on my ASAT Classic S and it sounds fantastic.

Are you going to be ordering one to your own specs? Or are you going to buy online?

Buying online, I live on an island and don't have any dealers close. I located a very nice 07 Legacy for $625.00 shipped but haven't decided which way to go yet. I have to believe either choice will make me happy. I asked my question to a number of dealers and the response has been almost 50/50, A vote or 2 more for the Legacy but the people who say S-500 are much more adamant . I made an offer on a S-500 today but he declined $800.00 and with a few more people saying Legacy I think I just might order the 07 Legacy soon.
Thank you for your input, I wish more people took the time to comment.

Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:46 pm

It's pretty quiet on this forum but the replies are universally good.

Thats a very good price, I'd go for it. I have no doubt that the S-500 would be fantastic. The MFD pickups have more midrange, more growl than standard single coil pickups. You'd most likely get a more LZ type sound out of them but it wouldn't sound like a Les Paul or a tele. You'd get closer to the tone of David Gilmour and Mr. Hendricks with the Legacy. You can't make a bad decision here, glenert. I've been in your position many times before and there's always a period where you think you should have got the other one, the grass is always greener! That said I'm very, very, happy with my G&L guitars and will not be selling them EVER. I just save up for another one!

Hope that helps you!

Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:30 am

I ordered a Legacy Tribute series in May (123 had a big sale) after playing my buddies S-500 (Tribute). I was so blown away with the sound of his guitar and loved the pups on that. When I got the Legacy with different pups I was disappointed at first till I realized they really are two different guitars. I love the Legacy and was going to purchase a used USA S-500 ( to have both unique sounds available). You can't go wrong with either, IMHO, or with the Tribute versions (unless you must have a USA built) I do agree this is a tough forum for getting reply s, but even if used as a lurk site to get info there is a bunch of informative posts available.

Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:11 am

I recently bought an early Legacy (with the Seymour Duncan pickups) and was disappointed in it's sound. Compared to my early 60s vintage strat it was very bright, snappy, and lower output. A cool sound, but pretty limited and not what I was after. The Legacies with G&L pickups may be closer to the sound I was after - more like a 60s strat with a bit more output and midrange. I'd like to try one. In the meantime I bought a 92 S-500 to try. I haven't yet played it through my main rig or with a band, but it seems like it can get pretty close to the strat sound by rolling off the bass and keeping the volume down a tad while having more drive available when required. It seems to have the richness of tone of a good guitar, not the one-dimensionality that plagues lots of guitars.