replacing knobs

Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:00 pm

today I received cream knobs that I ordered from G&L to replace the white ones on a 1995ish Legacy...they don't have the "teeth" on the inside of them to hold on to the pots tight like the stock ones..what's the best MacGyver trick to get them to hold tighter? bubble gum? super glue? thanks!

Re: replacing knobs

Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:08 pm

Is there a set screw somewhere on it?

Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:32 am

no set screw. they are the plastic ones with numbers..they fit on the heads of the pots but turn endlessly on top of them.

Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:20 pm

You could try to see if some tightly wrapped teflon tape ( white plumbers tape ) would work.

If it doesn't work at least there is no adhesive or gum to clean off, and if it does work then they should be able to be removed easily when you want to work on the guitar.

Otherwise you might have to search out some knobs with teeth.

Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:12 pm

Thanks Elwood. I am waiting to locate a new guard before giving the guitar a big face lift. I will let you know what ends up working.

Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:45 pm

pico peachy wrote:today I received cream knobs that I ordered from G&L to replace the white ones on a 1995ish Legacy...they don't have the "teeth" on the inside of them to hold on to the pots tight like the stock ones..what's the best MacGyver trick to get them to hold tighter? bubble gum? super glue? thanks!

You might contact G&L about these not having the teeth to hold them on the pots. Assuming you ordered them from the On-Line Store, go there and select Contact Us and fill out the form there.
They also have phone contact numbers and an email address contact, too.

Hope this helps.

Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:33 pm

If your pot is a split shaft, then you'll need to spread them out slightly so there is resistance when you push them in.