G&L USA popularity

Thu May 02, 2024 3:49 am

Hi,

I hope this topic is suitable for this forum. I've been a proud owner of G&L guitars since '97 and have owned or still own several USA models, including the ASAT Special, George Fullerton Signature, S-500, and JB bass, among others. Interestingly, I've never owned a Tribute model. In the past, there were G&L dealers even here in Slovenia. However, as of late, while there are still some dealers around, they seem to exclusively stock Tribute guitars. Even major dealers like Andertons in the UK only carry a few USA G&Ls, which is more of an exception than the rule. Buying a new USA G&L in the EU has become quite a challenge, and it appears to be getting more difficult with each passing year. It seems that USA G&L guitars are not selling as well as they used to.

It's quite disappointing! If this trend continues, G&L could become known primarily as a manufacturer of low-priced guitars for a large part of the world. While there's nothing inherently wrong with that, I believe that Leo's name doesn't deserve such an association to this extent.

However, I'm hopeful that this situation will eventually drive up the prices of USA G&L guitars, making my current guitars valuable collector's items.

#rant #over

Cheers,
Franci

Re: G&L USA popularity

Thu May 02, 2024 5:26 am

Hello from a neighboring country. I see the trend too. Muziker (Slovakia) and Thomann (Germany) had USA G&Ls, but now Muziker has only Tributes and Thomann has only some leftover Tributes. Not a single made in USA. And Thomann is one of if not the largest music instrument online retailer in the world...

Wed May 08, 2024 8:31 am

Same in Canada. I haven't seen an American G&L in any of our box stores in more than a decade.

I have to buy everything online.

It is too bad we can't buy direct from the factory - that would probably be a game changer.

Wed May 08, 2024 11:11 am

I travel for work so occasionally see shops that carry G&L, but not a common occurrence. Distributor minimum volumes may be a factor, I do not know G&L terms, but some retailers may be reluctant to take on new lines as many buyers are going cheapest online option.

The direct model would be like the old Carvin sales option. Notice they are not around anymore, and I’m a brick and mortar kind of guy. If you can touch it, it leaves a lasting impression. G&L guitars especially.

All of this means we need to continue spreading the word! :thumbup:

Wed May 08, 2024 12:32 pm

I don't know what G&L production numbers are but no doubt lower than other USA manufacturers which likely has an impact on perceived availability. Price has also risen which can be a further challenge, especially for overseas markets.

Wed May 08, 2024 3:04 pm

I think the online inventory looks average for USA models.
We have only two dealers for the whole state of Michigan these days so trying in person seems like a thing of the past. Of course, one can order and ship a guitar back but it was nice when I could try a few in person.

I agree with Tooslowhand, prices on new USA models seem to have risen. G&Ls don't seem like the bargain they used to it...maybe I'm just getting old!

Wed May 08, 2024 6:58 pm

I think you are correct Mutts. The last new G&L I bought was really expensive. It has lots of options on it, is really beautiful, and I like it a lot; so I'm not really complaining. But most likely it will be used stuff in the future.