S-500 Bass Circuit Modification Mystery

Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:32 am

Hey folks:

About 13 years ago I purchased a 1997 S-500 that has sat, lonely and unloved, in its case for nearly all of that time.

I recently took the guitar out to give a full clean and set up. The bass cut pot was a little stiff and I was pretty sure something was wrong with the shaft as the nob was at a bit of an angle. Sure enough, the shaft was broken.

After taking the pick guard off, I found that the bass cut circuit has been modified. There is a ganged dual pot, with an 82K resistor. The pot set-up is such that there is a center-detent.

I believe both of those pots are 1M, but I need to check. The caps are all .022uF.

Regardless, has anyone come across this circuitry before? I'm assuming this is a mod and not from the factory....? Anyone? Bueller? Thanks in advance.

EDIT: This link should work: https://photos.app.goo.gl/PddzmCQDs3cJKnb38
Last edited by thedukeofno on Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: S-500 Bass Circuit Modification Mystery

Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:44 am

thedukeofno wrote:Hey folks:

About 13 years ago I purchased a 1997 S-500 that has sat, lonely and unloved, in its case for nearly all of that time.

I recently took the guitar out to give a full clean and set up. The bass cut pot was a little stiff and I was pretty sure something was wrong with the shaft as the nob was at a bit of an angle. Sure enough, the shaft was broken.

After taking the pick guard off, I found that the bass cut circuit has been modified. There is a ganged dual pot, with an 82K resistor. The pot set-up is such that there is a center-detent.

I believe both of those pots are 1M, but I need to check. The caps are all .022uF.

Regardless, has anyone come across this circuitry before? I'm assuming this is a mod and not from the factory....? Anyone? Bueller? Thanks in advance.

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipM ... VGGd165dwR

Google says your link does not exist and the are not showing. Make sure to share the links in Google.

See this post of the S-500 Block Diagram and photo of the wiring in our Gallery:
Album: S-500 Diagrams.

Hope this helps.

Re: S-500 Bass Circuit Modification Mystery

Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:01 am

I edited the link and set sharing options so that anyone with the link can access. Hopefully it works.

The wiring on my S-500 looks nothing like the photos / wiring diagram in the gallery.