‘Modern Classic’ neck w 12” radius?

Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:08 am

on another forum, a user posted a spec sheet showing his guitar has a Modern Classic neck with a 12” radius. I was unaware of such a thing. Any thoughts?

Re: ‘Modern Classic’ neck w 12” radius?

Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:27 am

My 2013 ASAT Classic has a Modern C, 12" neck.
Did 'Modern C' morph into 'Modern Classic' ?

Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:52 am

SUaPYG wrote:My 2013 ASAT Classic has a Modern C, 12" neck.
Did 'Modern C' morph into 'Modern Classic' ?

In July 2015, G&L added a new profile called Modern Classic and a new radius of 9.5".
Reference post: July 1, 2015-Feb 29, 2016 G&L U.S. Specifications & Options.

Modern Classic
1 11/16” nut width with 1 5/8” string spacing allows a generous edge roll for superb comfort without string fall-off.
Fairly slim with mild taper from 0.820” at 1st fret to 0.870” at the 12th fret.

9 ½” A nice mid-way point between the vintage radius and a modern
12” radius. Standard on most guitar models.

Most of the guitar models have the Modern Classic profile with the 9.5" radius as the standard neck.

As you see this is the first time they offered neck radius as a separate option.

So, yes, a Modern Classic neck profile with a 12" radius fretboard can be ordered.

To see more on the past G&L neck profiles, see: What are the USA neck size options, past and present?

Hope this helps.

Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:34 am

Quote:
Modern Classic
1 11/16” nut width with 1 5/8” string spacing allows a generous edge roll for superb comfort without string fall-off.
Fairly slim with mild taper from 0.820” at 1st fret to 0.870” at the 12th fret.

Yeah they failed. I am a fanboi for sure....but man...I don't know how they shipped so many guitars with this problem.

Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:00 pm

I emailed Memo asking about the high e string falloff issue and whether or not he had been getting any complaints about this with the Modern Classic neck profiles from customers and/or Dealers. Here is his reply:

Hi Craig,
Its very possible the taper on the fret is angled too far into the fretboard resulting in the string to slip off.
if this is the case then the neck will need to be refretted if this is a made in Fullerton instrument,
have them contact me and we will issue a return authorization number and fix this issue.
if you have any further questions email me back.
Memo Romero

To contact him via email use this address: repairs@bbesound.com.

Hope this helps.