High E slipping off the neck

Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:22 am

This is not about a string slipping out of a tuner, but the high E sitting so close to the treble side of the neck that if you do pulloffs or vibrato the E strings slips off the neck.

I have 3 G&Ls; 90s S500, '18 Legacy and a SH Tribute ASAT special. The 500 and the ASAT are killer guitars. The Legacy is really nice and sounds great but it is very noisy so I don't play it much.
When I was looking for a G&L strat I tried a bunch of different G&Ls through GC (get it shipped and return locally if we did not gel.) The amount of high E slippage on these guitars was probably 75% My legacy is really bad, 500 slightly better and the ASAT is decent. I have never experienced this on another guitar (almost 40 years). A local tech said there was a type of nut that could fix this problem. I found a post on the gear page or somewhere...where the guy claimed to be a tech w/20+ G&Ls and he said it was due to the way the put the angle on the fret ends.
Anyways...I have learned to live and play around this problem but if there is a way to fix it (shift the nut?) then I'm all ears.

Re: High E slipping off the neck

Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:22 pm

ChrisPbass wrote:This is not about a string slipping out of a tuner, but the high E sitting so close to the treble side of the neck that if you do pulloffs or vibrato the E strings slips off the neck.

I have 3 G&Ls; 90s S500, '18 Legacy and a SH Tribute ASAT special. The 500 and the ASAT are killer guitars. The Legacy is really nice and sounds great but it is very noisy so I don't play it much.
When I was looking for a G&L strat I tried a bunch of different G&Ls through GC (get it shipped and return locally if we did not gel.) The amount of high E slippage on these guitars was probably 75% My legacy is really bad, 500 slightly better and the ASAT is decent. I have never experienced this on another guitar (almost 40 years). A local tech said there was a type of nut that could fix this problem. I found a post on the gear page or somewhere...where the guy claimed to be a tech w/20+ G&Ls and he said it was due to the way the put the angle on the fret ends.
Anyways...I have learned to live and play around this problem but if there is a way to fix it (shift the nut?) then I'm all ears.

In July 2015, G&L added a new profile called Modern Classic and a new radius of 9.5".
Reference post: July 1, 2015-Feb 29, 2016 G&L U.S. Specifications & Options.

Modern Classic
1 11/16” nut width with 1 5/8” string spacing allows a generous edge roll for superb comfort without string fall-off.
Fairly slim with mild taper from 0.820” at 1st fret to 0.870” at the 12th fret.

9 ½” A nice mid-way point between the vintage radius and a modern
12” radius. Standard on most guitar models.

Most of the guitar models have the Modern Classic profile with the 9.5" radius as the standard neck.

What neck options does your 2018 Legacy have? (check the Build Specifactions sheet which should be with the COA in a G&L envelope)

Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:57 pm

For a quick fix to try; if you have a little bit of room on the low E side, loosen up the neck screws slightly, push down on the bass side horn while holding the neck and body on a solid surface, then tighten up the screws. This should slightly shift the strings to the bass side. Don't go too much or you just shift the problem from one side to the other. Just a tiny bit could make a difference though and the low E side is less likely to slide off than the high E side. This is much easier if you have someone else to help but is doable by oneself.

Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:32 pm

9.5". Same as the 90s 500

Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:00 pm

ChrisPbass wrote:9.5". Same as the 90s 500

Then it would be this one:
Slim C - 1 5/8” nut width, slight edge roll, mild taper from 0.820” to 0.870”. These specs were part of the #1a neck.

Reference post: Jan 25, 2018-Jan 22, 2019 G&L U.S. Specifications & Options.

Have ever tried the Modern Classic profile with the 9.5" radius?

Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:01 am

The ‘Modern Classic’ neck has been plagued by this flaw. it’s baffling and I have no idea why G&L doesn’t address it. The 75% figure seems about right.

Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:30 am

johnnyqb wrote:The ‘Modern Classic’ neck has been plagued by this flaw. it’s baffling and I have no idea why G&L doesn’t address it. The 75% figure seems about right.

I am not aware of problems like this with the Modern Classic neck profile. You must have it mixed up with another neck profile.
Here are the specs for Modern Classic neck profile, which came out in July 2015:
Modern Classic
1 11/16” nut width with 1 5/8” string spacing allows a generous edge roll for superb comfort without string fall-off.
Fairly slim with mild taper from 0.820” at 1st fret to 0.870” at the 12th fret.

To see more on the past G&L neck profiles, see: What are the USA neck size options, past and present?

Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:37 am

I'm not sure which profile is and I don't know if it matters. Per my OP I experienced this on MANY G&Ls, a high percentage, and it sucks....I can work around it but I shouldn't have too.
A tech told me there is a nut that he can install that basically fixes this problem. I'll see if I can find it.

Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:44 am

ChrisPbass wrote:I'm not sure which profile is and I don't know if it matters. Per my OP I experienced this on MANY G&Ls, a high percentage, and it sucks....I can work around it but I shouldn't have too.
A tech told me there is a nut that he can install that basically fixes this problem. I'll see if I can find it.

IMO, it does matter, especially in the context of your post here. If you cannot identify the G&L neck profile(s) which you have had this problem...
As I pointed out, G&L's solution was done in July 2015, to make a standard neck profile and fretboard radius for almost all guitars in the US product line,
which addresses string fall-off. And, if you and others are still seeing this problem with the Modern Classic neck profile with 9.5" fb radius,
it needs to be brought to G&L's attention so they can look into it and fix it.

I am interested in hearing more about some type of nut which fixes this problem regardless of which neck profile is used. So, please keep us informed.

Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:44 pm

i'm not sure it's a modern classic neck problem.
i think it may be a string alignment problem. That could be individual to each guitar.
i've had 3 guitars with a modern classic neck.
2 of them have had near perfect neck/string alignment and no problems with light E string pull off the treble side of the neck.
one had a problem with neck/string alignment and did have the described problem with the light e string. i was able to mostly correct that with neck adjustment. I wished i could have corrected the alignment issue at the bridge/tailpiece level but that was not an option.

Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:19 am

john o wrote:i'm not sure it's a modern classic neck problem.
i think it may be a string alignment problem. That could be individual to each guitar.
i've had 3 guitars with a modern classic neck.
2 of them have had near perfect neck/string alignment and no problems with light E string pull off the treble side of the neck.
one had a problem with neck/string alignment and did have the described problem with the light e string. i was able to mostly correct that with neck adjustment. I wished i could have corrected the alignment issue at the bridge/tailpiece level but that was not an option.

Which model and year was the one you could not correct the string alignment? Was the pickguard interferring with the adjustment?

Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:12 pm

2015. no pickguard, was a black limba top asat classic bluesboy

Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:12 am

OK...I found the email from the tech who mentioned a nut and he was just advocating for a nut blank and custom cut.

Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:46 am

“I am not aware of problems like this with the Modern Classic neck profile. You must have it mixed up with another neck profile.
Here are the specs for Modern Classic neck profile, which came out in July 2015:“

I have complained about high e-string falloff on Modern Classic necks a few times on this forum over several years. I am not mixing it up with another neck. I have played at least 50 Modern Classic necks, and probably 40 of them had this problem. I have NEVER had the problem with Slim C, Classic C, Classic plus, or any 3-bolt era neck. I have also noted the irony of the MC neck having the exact problem it claims to be avoiding by its unique string-spacing.

Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:40 pm

johnnyqb wrote:“I am not aware of problems like this with the Modern Classic neck profile. You must have it mixed up with another neck profile.
Here are the specs for Modern Classic neck profile, which came out in July 2015:“

I have complained about high e-string falloff on Modern Classic necks a few times on this forum over several years. I am not mixing it up with another neck. I have played at least 50 Modern Classic necks, and probably 40 of them had this problem. I have NEVER had the problem with Slim C, Classic C, Classic plus, or any 3-bolt era neck. I have also noted the irony of the MC neck having the exact problem it claims to be avoiding by its unique string-spacing.

What do you do about it?

Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:56 pm

If I understand the problem correctly (I'm not a native speaker), this is a common thing with all the non set neck guitars. I had this with both of my Fenders and the ASAT too. My Tele was nearly unplayable when arrived brand new from the factory.

Solving this with replacing the nut does not look like a good idea. This means cutting (buying) a nut with narrower string placing? A can't think on anything else. And I think that won't cure the problem, maybe just help a bit as the bridge saddle spacing won't change. But you will have a narrower string spacing especially at the first frets.

I do the same what bigjim711 has written. It looks like a 3rd hand would be handy, but can be done with two hands and an armpit :) Check action and intonation after and that's it.

The only problem with this method is when the neck pocket is so tight that a very high force is needed to push the neck, and the force has to be maintained while tightening the screws. That's an acrobatic stunt, and a little scary too (fear of cracking the finish around the pocket).

Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:31 am

I don’t buy G&Ls with the Modern Classic neck, is my solution.

Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:56 am

I emailed Memo asking about this issue and whether or not he had been getting any complaints about this with the Modern Classic neck profiles from customers and/or Dealers. Here is his reply:

Hi Craig,
Its very possible the taper on the fret is angled too far into the fretboard resulting in the string to slip off.
if this is the case then the neck will need to be refretted if this is a made in Fullerton instrument,
have them contact me and we will issue a return authorization number and fix this issue.
if you have any further questions email me back.
Memo Romero

To contact him via email use this address: repairs@bbesound.com.

Hope this helps.

Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:05 pm

bigjim711 wrote:For a quick fix to try; if you have a little bit of room on the low E side, loosen up the neck screws slightly, push down on the bass side horn while holding the neck and body on a solid surface, then tighten up the screws. This should slightly shift the strings to the bass side. Don't go too much or you just shift the problem from one side to the other. Just a tiny bit could make a difference though and the low E side is less likely to slide off than the high E side. This is much easier if you have someone else to help but is doable by oneself.

We also have this post in our G&L Knowledgebase forum, G&L Technical Questions & Tips sub-forum:
String alignment issues and a simple cure.

Hope this helps.

Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:36 pm

Craig: thx for following up with the shop.

Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:10 pm

For anyone who has this issue with your G&L Fullerton built instrument, I recommend trying the String alignment adjustment first and if that does not fix it, then contact Memo about getting it fixed by the factory.

Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:40 am

Thank you...I will most definitely try to move the neck.

Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:08 pm

Craig wrote:For anyone who has this issue with your G&L Fullerton built instrument, I recommend trying the String alignment adjustment first and if that does not fix it, then contact Memo about getting it fixed by the factory.

I read the thread that you referenced in this post Craig and you mentioned something very important. The pickguard in these "S" type guitars are sometimes too tight. I have had this happen before and I am at the point of having to buy a Dremel to grind away a little bit of the pickguard so that the pickguard will just drop in freely.

What I have been able to figure out and realize is that you put the neck on. Tighten it down. Then put the pickguard in with 7 - 11 screws. Now there is not much pressure to tighten those pickguard screws but when all of them get tight, that pick guard won't budge. So now you string guitar up and through moving guitar here and there, picking it up, putting it down, playing it, whammy bar antics, on and on, that pickguard can exert just enough force to slightly move the neck.
So if the pickguard is a little 'snug' I would file, grind, cut, modify the pickguard until it 'freely' drops in the with the neck already in place.

HTH