ASAT to Classic S

Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:40 am

Hi,

I have a tribute SH ASAT special. I bought a reverse wound p/up to add as a middle position but the wiring schematic I see on this site says use the same polarity as the bridge as it reduces hum.
True?

Re: ASAT to Classic S

Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:35 am

ChrisPbass wrote:Hi,

I have a tribute SH ASAT special. I bought a reverse wound p/up to add as a middle position but the wiring schematic I see on this site says use the same polarity as the bridge as it reduces hum.
True?

Reference post: ASAT-Classic-S-Revised.

Here is the text:
Thanks to John Toner from G&L for this diagram. Along with the
diagram, John provided the history to this change:

The revised version is my effort to correct the hum in the #2 position (neck+middle).
I had noticed that you could only cancel hum in the #4 position (middle+bridge).
I had several calls from dealers and owners asking about that.
My solution was to make a new pickup for the Classic “S” where the neck pickup had the same wind/polarity as the bridge.
The new pickup can be distinguished by the yellow and red wires as opposed to the white and black wires of the Standard ASAT neck pickup.
The Revised Classic “S” now cancels hum in positions 2 and 4 and gives you that “in between” or “pseudo out of phase sound” that is characteristic of Legacys, S-500s and Strats.
After showing the results to Steve Grom and Dave McLaren, they gave the thumbs up and now all Classic “S” ASATs are changed over to this revision

See they created a new neck pickup which has the same wind/polarity as the bridge pickup.

So, if you install a middle pickup which is RW/RP to the neck pickup, you get hum cancelling when the neck and middle pickups are selected together.
But, if you install a middle pickup which is RW/RP to the bridge pickup, you get hum cancelling when the bridge and middle pickups are selected together.
If you want both middle and bridge & middle and neck to have hum cancelling, you need the neck and bridge pickups to be the same wind/polarity AND the middle
pickup to be RW/RP of both the neck and bridge pickups.

The standard ASAT Special models (US and Tribute) have the bridge pickup RW/RP to the neck pickup.

What type of pickup do you have for the middle position?

Hope this helps.

Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:05 pm

I have a RW p/up. Made to go in the middle position of a str*t.

Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:30 pm

ChrisPbass wrote:I have a RW p/up. Made to go in the middle position of a str*t.

Let us know how this works out and what type of magnetic is in the middle pickup. Photos are a must, as well.

Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:02 am

P/up is Van Zandt Vintage Plus Strat RWRP Middle Pickup

OHMS 6.2 - 6.3 = Vintage Plus w/ Alnico 5 magnets (according to their webpage)

Guitar needs to be routed ~ I have a router but I've never done this before. I will set up some sort of template and hack away...... If it fails I'll take it to a tech

Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:36 am

OK... is there a template available or am I just free-routing this thing? Any advice?

Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:38 am

ChrisPbass wrote:OK... is there a template available or am I just free-routing this thing? Any advice?

Check out Sam's post about the ASAT Cat Special Build he recently acquired:
NGD Lunch Report March 18, 2024.
Maybe the photos in his post will help.