NGD 2022 Legacy

Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:04 am

I thought I was done buying guitars for a while, but no-o-o-o. I saw a listing for a NOS 2022 Legacy at a very good price and I could not resist.
It has a beautiful Ruby Metallic Red finish and I did not have a red guitar. :roll:
I sent Craig some pics and listed it in the registry. Perhaps Craig would be kind enough to post the pics in this thread for me.

When I got the guitar the middle pup was dead. Seller sent me a replacement pup and all is good now.
This is my first guitar with Alnico 5 pups. The output of the guitar is markedly less than my other guitars with MFD and Humbuckers. Is this to be expected?

Here are my other guitars for comparison:
2007 Commanche
2013 ASAT Classic
2016 Tribute ASAT Classic Bluesboy - semi hollow
2020 Doheny V12
2022 ASAT Classic Bluesboy
2022 Legacy

Appreciate the feedback.

Re: NGD 2022 Legacy

Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:57 am

Here is SUaPYG's Legacy:

It's a real beauty! :thumbup:

Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:17 pm

Great score and congratulations! :clap:

“I thought I was done buying guitars for a while” hahahaha how many times have we all said those famous words!

Sweet Legacy ya got there and Alnico V ‘s do have a different voice, a little more on the traditional single coil side to me. The more you play them you will find the best song application for your needs. I have both MFD’s and Alnico V and think I pull out Alnico versions for a moderate single coil. Honestly I’m a big MFD ASAT guy but Alnico versions do get grabbed every now and then.

Where do you see the Legacy fitting in tone wise for you so far?

Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:54 pm

sam wrote:Great score and congratulations! :clap:

Where do you see the Legacy fitting in tone wise for you so far?

The jury is still out on that as I better acquaint myself with the instrument. It does seem to be a more nuanced tone.

Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:16 pm

congrats on the legacy!
the alnico pups are lower output than the mfd's in general. when i use them i just turn up the amp a bit more.
i also find that they hit a dirt pedal with less db's at the input and this requires a little upward adjustment of the gain level on the pedal compared to when used with mfd's. but, the sweetness of the tone of alnicos is sometimes very desirable, so nice to have that option.

i had a tribute legacy in 2014 with those CLF-100's and i thought they were outstanding in the tone dept compared to 3 strats i have had.

Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:40 pm

Thats a nice guitar. The fretboard looks like nothing I have seen on Rosewood. Is that wood grain swirl? Or just me with bad eyes!!

Love the color and I am not a "red" color guy. But that color I could do. Also back in the day we would have called that color 'Candy Apple Red". Cars would be painted in that color with very small gold metal flakes. Very small flakes. You would see the red mostly, but in the sun at certain angles the gold would just have a hint of showing.

sam wrote:the Legacy fitting in tone wise for you so far?

I love the silky sound of G&L Legacy's. I played in a blues band and the singers wife bought him a Legacy for his birthday. I loved the way it sounded when I played it. I liked it better than a Strat. To me, that's how the Strat wanted to sound!! LOL Anyway, that was why I bought the Legacy I have. When I plugged it in and heard it, I was like "Oh yeah!!"

I am a Les Paul guy. Have been most of my life. But you can't deny that silky sound that just 'FEELS" right!!

And John O is right, a little adjustments to my amp and pedals when I plug in my Legacy gets me going. In fact, I like to turn the amp up more and play the strings softer. There is just not another guitar I have played that can compare to that soft sound.

Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:06 am

Grem wrote:Thats a nice guitar. The fretboard looks like nothing I have seen on Rosewood. Is that wood grain swirl? Or just me with bad eyes!!

Love the color and I am not a "red" color guy. But that color I could do. Also back in the day we would have called that color 'Candy Apple Red". Cars would be painted in that color with very small gold metal flakes. Very small flakes. You would see the red mostly, but in the sun at certain angles the gold would just have a hint of showing.

sam wrote:the Legacy fitting in tone wise for you so far?

I love the silky sound of G&L Legacy's. I played in a blues band and the singers wife bought him a Legacy for his birthday. I loved the way it sounded when I played it. I liked it better than a Strat. To me, that's how the Strat wanted to sound!! LOL Anyway, that was why I bought the Legacy I have. When I plugged it in and heard it, I was like "Oh yeah!!"

I am a Les Paul guy. Have been most of my life. But you can't deny that silky sound that just 'FEELS" right!!

And John O is right, a little adjustments to my amp and pedals when I plug in my Legacy gets me going. In fact, I like to turn the amp up more and play the strings softer. There is just not another guitar I have played that can compare to that soft sound.

The rosewood on the fret board has a very tight grain, muting any color variation or streaking.

Try this on your legacy - Turn the treble cut all the way down, the base cut all the way up and the switch position selecting the middle and bridge pu. Up the gain on your amp. Sound familiar?

Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:17 pm

SUaPYG wrote:Try this on your legacy - Turn the treble cut all the way down, the base cut all the way up and the switch position selecting the middle and bridge pu. Up the gain on your amp. Sound familiar?

OK. I will give this a try. Will let you know what I think.