String Gauge Question

Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:24 pm

I would like to put a 10 set of Dean Markley's on my Legacy Tribute. Are there any adjustments to the truss rod or springs that I need to make? Or is 10 up from 09 not that big a deal...

Re: String Gauge Question

Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:36 pm

May not need a truss rod adjustment but you will most likely have to increase the DF springs due to the increased string tension. Easy adjustment. Just make note of the DF back height from the body and readjust to the same after re-stringing and tuning. It usually take a couple of adjustments, tunings and you are set. -- Darwin.

Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:42 pm

sudsman wrote:I would like to put a 10 set of Dean Markley's on my Legacy Tribute. Are there any adjustments to the truss rod or springs that I need to make? Or is 10 up from 09 not that big a deal...

Should be no issue at all. The original set of strings from the factory would have been 10's.

Hope this helps.

Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:53 pm

Thank you for the info. I was told by my retailer that the factory set was 09. So, I think I'll just string 'er up with 10s and see what happens!

Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:12 am

Some G&L expert can correct this. From what I've heard, the early G&L's came out with 9's and later on standardized to 10's. So did they choose 9's because that was considered a standard during the late 70's or early 80's? The early 80's G&L's have thin necks, did they choose 9's because of this?

Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:35 pm

Tundra wrote:Some G&L expert can correct this. From what I've heard, the early G&L's came out with 9's and later on standardized to 10's. So did they choose 9's because that was considered a standard during the late 70's or early 80's? The early 80's G&L's have thin necks, did they choose 9's because of this?

Here's all the info I have on strings used by G&L: What gauge & brand of strings does G&L use on their guitars?

Hope this helps.

Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:23 pm

Maybe they use different strings for the Tribute guitars. My S-500 Tribute came with 9's.

Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:28 pm

My dealer was nice enough to set mine up with 9s for me (when it comes in), by nice enough I mean accommodating as I just dropped my bank account in his store. In all seriousness he was excellent to work with. I like this as it saves me doing it myself anyway.

Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:34 pm

panchito wrote:Maybe they use different strings for the Tribute guitars. My S-500 Tribute came with 9's.

I'm checking with one of my contacts at the factory and will find out.

Stay tuned.

Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:36 pm

Craig wrote:
panchito wrote:Maybe they use different strings for the Tribute guitars. My S-500 Tribute came with 9's.

I'm checking with one of my contacts at the factory and will find out.

Stay tuned.

The Tribute guitars were originally strung with 9's and at some point later they switched to 10's. So now, all G&L guitars have 10's factory installed.
The Tribute strings have always been supplied by the local factory where they are built.

Hope this helps.

Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:16 am

Thanks for the info, Craig. If they only use now 10's, then should we conclude that this is the right gauge for a G&L, from their point of view ?
What's the opinion of those who tried both 9's and 10's with the same guitar ? Thanks !

Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:47 am

panchito wrote:What's the opinion of those who tried both 9's and 10's with the same guitar ? Thanks !

All very subjective of course but I like the slightly stiffer feel of 10's and have change gauges on all my 9's G&L to 10's too. With the exception of my Legacy Special for which I'm using 11's which caused that guitar to completely come alive.

- Jos

Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:35 am

panchito wrote:Thanks for the info, Craig. If they only use now 10's, then should we conclude that this is the right gauge for a G&L, from their point of view ?
What's the opinion of those who tried both 9's and 10's with the same guitar ? Thanks !

I like and am used to 9's on my 25.5"ers, I could play 10s I guess, but for what I do I do not need bigger strings. I like to do a lot of bending/lead work so I keep em lighter. I find 9s tight enough on a 25.5, but larger strings give 'more tone' , more iron disturbing the pickups fields and all that. At the same time, less string movement (due to higher tension), so really it is a complicated thing.

Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:51 pm

In the early days of G&L, and for whatever reason, Leo Fender was more concerned with cleaner highs than anything else. According to Dale Hyatt, the shorter range of the string gauge on a set of 9-42s was easier to control and had a cleaner or tighter tonal range than say a set of 10-46s. For example... String sets with light top and heavy bottom gauges eg.. 9-52s would give more range but the quality on one end of the spectrum would have to be a compromise for a given pickup. At the same time a set of 9-38s would be tighter and cleaner but the range would be lacking. The stress of heavier gauge strings on the neck, playing techniques, and the types of music was not a concern to Leo. It wasn't until the inception of the Baritone Guitar did Leo put much thought into the overall spectrum of the "wider tonal range" and when he did, special pickups were developed.

Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:36 pm

I had to take the 10s off my BluesBoy because the low end was just excessive. 9s cured that perfectly. I put 9s on my SC-2 and prefer them on that guitar. 10s on my other G/L guitars.

My point is: there is no one best gauge. All depends on the guitar, the style, the player, the amp, etc.