NGD - ASAT of a "Special Build"

Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:06 pm

Howdy all,

One of the reclusive ASAT's on my radar for a long time has finally found it's way to me! That would be an ASAT HB Special Build from 2004-2005. :alright:

Acquired from a fellow GLDP member, very glad to keep the guitars in the G&L family. Dan contacted me as I had a "wanted" listing for this guitar and he just happened to have one for sale. While it did have some interesting marks on the neck, (will cover later) this guitar was calling my name.

When Dan acquired it, the previous owner looks to have run scales with some acidic solvent and there were marks on the neck, see below
Image Image

This did not deter my chase for the guitar. After coordinating purchase and delivery I was glad to have the guitar in hand. The spots on the neck did not damage the wood beyond discoloration, no wood chips. The search was on for how to stain or fix the spots. Between a couple of luthiers I know and StewMac web page I decided to go with the StewMac approach, Higgins India Ink. (may still get a luthier to do some more) Also used some Dunlap fret cleaner in the process as well. Here are before and after pictures.

Before and after treatment
Image Image Image

May take a few applications to clean up a few spots more, but at this point I'm pretty pleased.

Image Image

She was born on February 23, 2005 and comes in at light feeling 8.36 lbs and plays like a dream. Here is Jos' page on this guitar and he covers the bases pretty well. The pickups through a Fender Deluxe Reverb or Mesa Boogie Lonstar Special go from some cool country pickin to driven rock. Will get more pics posted later.
http://www.yowhatsshakin.com/yowhatssha ... AT_HB.html

This tale should remind you, if yer looking for a particular guitar, ya never know when it will show up and who just might have it so keep lookin'. :searching:

Remember, "You can never have too many ASAT's"!

Re: NGD - ASAT of a "Special Build"

Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:15 am

Congrats, Sam—nice score!! I only know about that guitar from Jos' website.

Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:21 am

tomanche wrote:Congrats, Sam—nice score!! I only know about that guitar from Jos' website.

It is listed in these posts in the G&L Knowledgebase:
List of Special Edition & Non-Production ASAT-style guitars.
Production List of G&L Instruments (USA).

Congrat to Sam! :happy0065:

Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:01 pm

Thanks guys!

Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:02 pm

Glad it did land with you, sam!

- Jos

Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:44 pm

Thanks Jos! :thumbup:

Your page was a definite part of my original interest. :evilgrin:

Was playing some tonight, and there are some very cool undertones hidden within this HOG and these pups.

Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:49 am

pretty sweet, Sam, nice find. love the mahogany body.
what's the neck profile? #1 classic C?

Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:49 am

Hi john thanks! I do believe its a Classic "C" C 1 5/8" 12" 0.830" 0.960", not certain.

Here are a couple more pics for good measure. ;)

Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:32 am

Nice addition to the family - really works aesthetically well with that worn SAM strap.

Thanks for sharing!

Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:37 am

Thanks Dan.

The strap was a Christmas present from my mom last year. Has become a favorite strap for sure.

Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:59 pm

That's another beauty Sam. It will fit in with the others I'm sure.
I imagine that pickup combo is a nice mix.

Enjoy!
Jeff

Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:34 pm

Thanks Jeff, :thumbup:

The pickup combination with hog body was the real reason I was after this.

Jos’ page was also an enabler but this one’s a keeper for sure.