Nashville

Sat Sep 02, 2023 6:07 am

I visited Nashville last year for the 1st time and got to prowl around some of their vintage guitar stores, music venues and hot southern chicken joints.
This week I checked out Nashville in a different kinda way. I'm always a sucker for old school tobacco burst finishes, saw this one on the verb and it checked alot of boxes, including a very nice price (and free shipping!).

It's a 2017 ASAT Classic S. Excellent condition, ohsc, 7lb 9oz, nice wood grain top binding, body bevel cut like a strat, OLS width, alder body, nice transparent finish and that fine alder grain, modern classic neck w/maple board, near perfect string alignment, 5 position selector, and interestingly the volume pot is the push pull expander switch, not the tone. Wonder if that was a 2017 thing. Needed a bit of set up including some masking tape shim of the front of the neck pocket to get the saddle heights right, and a truss rod tweak. Took it to rehearsal on Thursday night and had fun with it, lots of beautiful tones and very resonant. A lucky find. Here's a few pics...

Re: Nashville

Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:14 am

Very nice find. Does the expander switch kick in all three pickups? My 1999 LE (the GuitarByLeo Limited Edition) has that feature.

Kit

Sat Sep 02, 2023 5:21 pm

john o wrote: <cut> and interestingly the volume pot is the push pull expander switch, not the tone. Wonder if that was a 2017 thing.

No, the standard is the push pull expander switch on the Tone pot. This is one of the Off-Menu items, see, Location and type of expander and coil splitter switches in this post:
Are there any "off menu" G&L options?.

Hope this helps.

Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:51 pm

Hey john,

Great score and a beauty as well! Sounds like it could slide right into yer playing rotation. :thumbup:

Any comments from the band on how it sounds? Look forward to hearing more as she gets more playing time.

Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:50 am

thx guys.

Kit, the expander does the neck and bridge pups at positions 1 and 5, all 3 pups at positions 2 and 4, and middle pup with position 3. this is same functionality as the expander toggle on my comanche. i think with all 3 pups on it sounds a little thin and stratty, sometimes i use that for a rhythm thing. i do like the neck/bridge position, always thought that was useful with the comanche. it is definitely interesting using the strat style switching with the asat style guitar. i was having fun with that at rehearsal. will take me awhile to form opinions about these combinations on different songs.

Craig, thanks for the reference, interesting. doesn't really matter to me which pot is the push pull as long as it works. the volume pot is "right there" and definitely gets more use, so maybe that's good.

Sam, they said it pretty much sounds like me which could be positive! My son plays bass for us now and he said "you got another one?" lol. I was pleased with how bright and colorful/toneful it was through my carvin V3m. it's versatile, something i always liked about the comanche. i'm going to try it at a gig this coming thursday and see how it sounds.

Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:44 am

That's a nice looking guitar with some decent options. I like the scraped binding. Play it in good health sir !

Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:50 pm

Thank you Paul! The pics really don't do it justice, but it really does have a wonderful palate of tones and very nice playability.