Coil Tap with Dual Blade PUP

Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:09 pm

Is it possible?

Re: Coil Tap with Dual Blade PUP

Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:17 pm

I'm assuming you are referring to the Gotoh Blades on the Legacy Special.

The answer is, possibly, but the pickups I that I have are two wire output. You'd have to take the coils apart abd resolder the coils with individual leads. I'd leave it to a pro, but you might find some tips on the Seymour Duncan Forum.

I use both a Legacy Special and a Legacy at most of my gigs. But the Legacy Special can get close to the tone of the alnicos. I normal the PTB controls on all my G&Ls with Treble-10 Bass-5. (Some times the Comanches are Treble-8.) So now with the Legacy Special, I can lower the Bass to 0-2, and pull the bright switch on my Mesa amps. The key to getting these to sound more like a single coil though is: you have to lower the volume--down to alnico levels, so that your amp will respond correctly. Turning your guitar down to 6-7, or even lower, will put you in the ballpark of the alnico single coil tone of a Legacy. It won't be EXACTLY like a Legacy alnico, but you might be the only one who can tell the differrence.

Conversely, with the volume, Treble down, and Bass back up around 5-6 will give your neck pickup "woman tone" to make Santana envious.

The PTB control system is incredibly versatile, and can make the Gotoh Blades go from thick humbucker tones to piercingly bright. If you really need single coil sound, I suggest a second guitar. I've never heard a split pickup that sounded exactly like the real thing, even with HB pickups, much less strat-sized buckers.

Besides, having TWO great G&Ls is MORE than twice the fun!!

Bill