Whats the most versatile ASAT?

Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:01 pm

I've been playing for a year now. I know I don't need another guitar because I have three already. My first was a Martin D16GT, my second a USA Legacy, and the third is a Epiphone DR500m acoustic that I won from an online contest. I know I have more than enough guitars to try and master to last me the rest of my life and I work as hard as I can at learning how to play and read music that a family man can who works 60 plus hours a week. I want to get a ASAT and I've been watching videos and reading about each model. I'm gonna visit a few dealers (not many in my area) and try to test each model out. I'd like to know which model ASAT you think I should definitely try and get my hands on before I buy one. I'm looking to start getting into playing more blues and rockabilly type stuff in the future but, I like pretty much anything. I hope this question isn't too juvenile or amateur it's just that I have very limited time to travel and actually get my hands on each and every model. I'm also not sure about all the different pickups available on each model and what each of them have to offer as far a tone goes. Being so new to guitars I just cant expect to know everything overnight and to be honest I try and focus more on learning to play than spending countless (albeit fun) hours online reading about guitars at this point in my musical journeys. I only wish I started to play when I was a teen. Thanks for any help you have to offer.

Re: Whats the most versatile ASAT?

Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:30 pm

That's a nice collection of guitars for someone who's only been playing a year! It's definitely hard to stop at one G&L! Just remember that it's never too late to learn. If you're into blues and rockabilly I'd go for a semi hollow Bluesboy. I have one and it sounds great for those styles of music. It can also do a lovely jazz sound. The semi hollow body does wonders for the sound - it's much different to my solid body ASATs. Whichever model you choose should be able to do most any style of music as they're incredibly versatile guitars. What are you using for an amp? Looks like some kind of Roland in your avatar

Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:39 pm

blargfromouterspace wrote:That's a nice collection of guitars for someone who's only been playing a year! It's definitely hard to stop at one G&L! Just remember that it's never too late to learn. If you're into blues and rockabilly I'd go for a semi hollow Bluesboy. I have one and it sounds great for those styles of music. It can also do a lovely jazz sound. The semi hollow body does wonders for the sound - it's much different to my solid body ASATs. Whichever model you choose should be able to do most any style of music as they're incredibly versatile guitars. What are you using for an amp? Looks like some kind of Roland in your avatar

It's a Roland Cube 80x. I'm not even gonna venture into looking at other amps until I can play much better than I do now. It has everything that I need as a student player. Thanks for your reply I appreciate it.

Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:04 am

rockworthy wrote:I'm not even gonna venture into looking at other amps until I can play much better than I do now...

Very wise. It's a whole new world of financial pain (for me at least) when you start buying amps - note the plural ;)

Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:32 am

My vote has to go to the Z-3, though I also love my ASAT Special (SH w/ Bigsby) and Bluesboy.

The Z-3 (mine is SH) is what my friend, ace picker Chris S (Longtime GLDP'er) calls "The Swiss Army Knife" of guitars, and he's right.

I use it to twang country, to play big blues tone, to rock out (it loves pedals), and the semi-hollow also has an airy 335'ish vibe, as well as the ability to sound like a jazzbox (neck pickup with tone rolled off ~50%)... I used it at a solo jazz performance and someone I know who has a real '51 Gibson L-5 (big hollowbody) was raving about how great the Z-3 sounded, straight into a Fender Twin ... he swore he would never have known it wasn't a jazzbox if he closed his eyes and did not see what looked like a "Tele" there...

best,
Jon

Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:46 am

blargfromouterspace wrote:
rockworthy wrote:I'm not even gonna venture into looking at other amps until I can play much better than I do now...

Very wise. It's a whole new world of financial pain (for me at least) when you start buying amps - note the plural ;)

Good Call, just remember always practice clean, distortion is nice for actually playing but practicing with it is a good way to let yourself down (with self inflation)

I am not particularly into rockabilly, but have an interest in country. I have heard some good blues sounds out of the ASAT special also, but what draws me to it is the bridge twang. I think the others are on the right track with the hollowbodies, rockabilly seems to be embodied by them.

Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:49 am

For blues to jazz I'd look at the Bluesboy
For blues to rockabilly I'd look at the ASAT Special
For the most versatile ASAT I'd look at the Z3

Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:14 am

="sirmyghin"

Good Call, just remember always practice clean, distortion is nice for actually playing but practicing with it is a good way to let yourself down (with self inflation)

I do practice on a clean channel, or I'll pick an amp model that I like and leave all effects off. Nothing thrills me more than to hear my mistakes. :oops: but it's the only way I'll ever get better.
Last edited by rockworthy on Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:14 am

sirmyghin wrote:

I am not particularly into rockabilly, but have an interest in country. I have heard some good blues sounds out of the ASAT special also, but what draws me to it is the bridge twang. I think the others are on the right track with the hollowbodies, rockabilly seems to be embodied by them.

you can definitely get some great rockabilly tones out of an ASAT Special SH (no f-hole) with Bigsby, I've used mine for it and it sounds great!

bridge twang, big beefy neck tone, and the sweet middle position all very rockabiliy-approved tone!

Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:44 am

fendertweed wrote:
sirmyghin wrote:

you can definitely get some great rockabilly tones out of an ASAT Special SH (no f-hole) with Bigsby, I've used mine for it and it sounds great!

bridge twang, big beefy neck tone, and the sweet middle position all very rockabiliy-approved tone!

Beautiful guitar :alright:

Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:31 am

Tim Buffalo Bros wrote:A very interesting question. I can always find a G&L that can do a certain genre well. But if I had to base this on strickly versatility I would say hands down the Trinty. It can do a Tele, ASAT, Strat, Archtop, SG Jr., and a sound all it's own. I personally would choose it as the one guitar that can do many things well, many different sounds.
That gets my vote.
Tim

Just emailed you about this one, I can't find much about it.

Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:08 am

rockworthy wrote:
Tim Buffalo Bros wrote:A very interesting question. I can always find a G&L that can do a certain genre well. But if I had to base this on strickly versatility I would say hands down the Trinty. It can do a Tele, ASAT, Strat, Archtop, SG Jr., and a sound all it's own. I personally would choose it as the one guitar that can do many things well, many different sounds.
That gets my vote.
Tim

Just emailed you about this one, I can't find much about it.

In case you have not seen our G&L Registry Rarebirds section, the Trinity is one of them.

A couple more versatile G&L's are the ASAT JD-5 which had a very short production run and no longer in production and the Custom Creations ASAT Classic S.

Good luck on your search and hopefully you will be able to try out the ones that interest you.

Hope this helps.

Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:55 pm

Craig wrote: the Custom Creations ASAT Classic S.

That particular page is in need of some updating. If I'm not mistaken there have been a couple of extra production runs since 2007. There's the solid body ones with forearm and belly contours (2008? I have one of them) and there seems to be another one just happened - there are quite a few up on ebay - in Spanish Copper, natural and white finishes. The switching seems to change too, which is great, it shows that G&L are constantly thinking about the player. They also use a different neck.

Is it possible that the production runs not mentioned on the G&L website are not official? Have I been duped?

Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:08 pm

blargfromouterspace wrote:

That particular page is in need of some updating. If I'm not mistaken there have been a couple of extra production runs since 2007. There's the solid body ones with forearm and belly contours (2008? I have one of them) and there seems to be another one just happened - there are quite a few up on ebay - in Spanish Copper, natural and white finishes. The switching seems to change too, which is great, it shows that G&L are constantly thinking about the player. They also use a different neck.

Is it possible that the production runs not mentioned on the G&L website are not official? Have I been duped?

When I was doing their website updates, I tried getting the specifics: like were the ones I was seeing on eBay and dealer websites, one-offs or from a production run, but was not able to get the needed details, so I could not make any updates to the webpage. Perhaps some time in the future, Dave will have it updated to the present. :eh:

Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:36 pm

My local dealer said he just got a Classic S in the other week. I'm going to check it out tomorrow.I hope it's Semi Hollow, I like the feel of them. Thanks for your input guys.

Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:30 pm

Classic S with a Bigbsy would be as sweet as it gets in my opinion. My Classic S will be getting one in the near future. I have a Z3, f-hole with a Bigsby and it is a sweet guitar.-- Darwin

Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:27 am

fendertweed wrote:My vote has to go to the Z-3, though I also love my ASAT Special (SH w/ Bigsby) and Bluesboy.

The Z-3 (mine is SH) is what my friend, ace picker Chris S (Longtime GLDP'er) calls "The Swiss Army Knife" of guitars, and he's right.

+1. Mine is the older version without the mini-switch for the extra pickup configs, but it does everything I need it to do. I sold off a dozen and a half guitars but the AttentionWhore (it's blue flake) made the cut and is one of only six left. I'm probably going to pare down one or two more, but the Z3 will definitely be staying. My other choice would be Comanche with Z-coils and a Dual Fulcrum.

Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:14 pm

Picked up a sweet Classic S in Blonde. Pics to come soon in another thread. Thanks guys!