Possible for factory to put classic neck on ASAT Special?

Tue May 23, 2023 7:01 am

Guys I have bought a ASAT Spacial that has 3 jumbo MFDs but has a ASAT Classic labeled headstock. Am I correct to assume someone has swapped the neck with a classic at some point? Did G&L ever ship oddities from the factory where the logo was not really correct?
Otherwise it’s a fantastic guitar.

Re: Possible for factory to put classic neck on ASAT Special

Tue May 23, 2023 9:12 am

Jim Sams wrote:Guys I have bought a ASAT Spacial that has 3 jumbo MFDs but has a ASAT Classic labeled headstock. Am I correct to assume someone has swapped the neck with a classic at some point? Did G&L ever ship oddities from the factory where the logo was not really correct?

Yes your assumption is correct. The factory will not knowingly install an ASAT Classic badged neck on an ASAT Special model to be shipped to a dealer.
Is the neck a 3-bolt neck (with the Serial Number on the neck plate) or 4-bolt neck with the Serial Number on the back of headstock?
If you contact Memo Romero [Service Manager] and ask him to lookup the Serial Number on the back of the neck headstock he can tell you the actual model name and when the guitar that that neck was built with, was completed at the factory. His email address is repairs@glguitars.com.

The next question is the body a factory built ASAT S-3 model or an ASAT Special model which was modded with a middle MFD Jumbo pickup?
If you can (or want to) remove the pickguard and take photos of the pickup routes with the pickups removed from the route, you might find some
information in one or more of the pickups routes. Please post them here so we can help you determine the actual body model it was built at the factory.
Does it have a 5-way pickup selector switch or a 3-way? If it is a 3-way switch, I would say that the body is an ASAT Special and someone modded the body
and added a middle pickup.

Please do posts photos of this guitar so we can see what you got. To post photos, see this tutorial post: Tutorial: Posting photos.

Hope this helps and looking forward to seeing your guitar.

Re: Possible for factory to put classic neck on ASAT Special

Tue May 23, 2023 11:45 am

Craig wrote:
Jim Sams wrote:Guys I have bought a ASAT Spacial that has 3 jumbo MFDs but has a ASAT Classic labeled headstock. Am I correct to assume someone has swapped the neck with a classic at some point? Did G&L ever ship oddities from the factory where the logo was not really correct?

Yes your assumption is correct. The factory will not knowingly install an ASAT Classic badged neck on an ASAT Special model to be shipped to a dealer.
Is the neck a 3-bolt neck (with the Serial Number on the neck plate) or 4-bolt neck with the Serial Number on the back of headstock?
If you contact Memo Romero [Service Manager] and ask him to lookup the Serial Number on the back of the neck headstock he can tell you the actual model name and when the guitar that that neck was built with, was completed at the factory. His email address is repairs@glguitars.com.

The next question is the body a factory built ASAT S-3 model or an ASAT Special model which was modded with a middle MFD Jumbo pickup?
If you can (or want to) remove the pickguard and take photos of the pickup routes with the pickups removed from the route, you might find some
information in one or more of the pickups routes. Please post them here so we can help you determine the actual body model it was built at the factory.
Does it have a 5-way pickup selector switch or a 3-way? If it is a 3-way switch, I would say that the body is an ASAT Special and someone modded the body
and added a middle pickup.

Please do posts photos of this guitar so we can see what you got. To post photos, see this tutorial post: Tutorial: Posting photos.

Hope this helps and looking forward to seeing your guitar.

It’s 4 bolt with a CLF # on the back of the headstock. I think the middle pickup was added but it looks like a factory job with the pickguard on. It’s a fantastic guitar and I got it at a decent price based o what I think it may be, which is a mongrel. It does have a 5 way switch.