G&L vs. Sperzel

Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:32 pm

Hello. New to the board.
Can someone tell me why some ASAT Classics have G&L tuners and some have Sperzels? Is there a big difference? Is one tuner better than the other?
I have a 2006 with Sperzels and occasionally the G string goes out of tune. I was just wondering why did G&L use 2 different tuners ?
Thanks.

Re: G&L vs. Sperzel

Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:40 pm

Are the Sperzel's locking tuners? Maybe they're after market ones - I thought G&L use Schaller tuners as the upgrade. Perhaps they used to use Sperzel?

Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:08 pm

G&L uses both G&L logo (Schaller) and Sperzel, marked Sperzel. I think that they are both excellent. I suspect that they source both manufactures due to availability or ?. Darwin

Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:18 pm

And it's easy to upgrade them to locking tuners--just stick to the same brand, and the locking tuners will fit right in.

Both the Schaller and Sperzel tuners are excellent. The Sperzels are made here in the USA. Good folks.

Bill

Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:13 pm

Boogie Bill wrote:stick to the same brand, and the locking tuners will fit right in.

Good advice! ;)

Didn't knew that at first and ordered Sperzel locking tuners to replace the Schaller tuners on my Legacy. And of course, they didn't fit.
By that one of the ASATs does now have the Spercel locking ones, and the Legacy got Schaller locking tuners, which I had to order next.

Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:17 pm

I've fitted Sperzel locking tuners to a couple of my ASAT's and they fit the standard hole for the shaft, but the locking pin (?) is slightly further out and requires drilling a tiny hole in the headstock which is completely covered by the body of the tuning key. Not everyone has my liberal attitude towards drilling holes in their guitars!