Are current ASAT MFDs same as the '80s MFDs?

Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:36 am

Hello all, new here, I might buy an '86 ASAT that is missing it's neck pickup, are the current production MFDs just as good as the older ones, or will I have have to scour the planet for an original from the 80s? Also were/are these pickups made and marked neck & bridge or one type fits all? And, one more: are the current one ply plastic black pickguards unchanged? Will match right up to all the screw holes and cut outs ont the '80s guitar? Thanks

Re: Are current ASAT MFDs same as the '80s MFDs?

Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:05 am

There are differences in the older pickups vs the new ones. On the older pickups the coil wire will be PE (dark red or blackish) intead of the bright copper used today. I have the output readings somewhere for old ASAT pups but I can't find them but they do differ from the current pickups. I doubt you'd be unhappy with a new pickup in the neck. They drop right in! The bridge pickup is longer so they don't interchange.
The pickguard will be a bit of a problem. The old asat neck is smaller and you may have to furnish a template to the maker for an exact fit. Not sure about the screw holes.... I've never swapped pickguards on pre BBE guitars with anything other than a NOS or used guard from that era.
Good luck....and when you install that new pick up put a 4 way switch in as well.
A

Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:31 pm

The pickups are the same size, but differ (neck vs bridge) as pointed out by YoEleven. The older '86 ASAT had an aluminum pickguard. Usually, black crinkle or smooth white baked on finish. I may have one that will fit your ASAT depending on the color you need. You can email me at: wayne@tone-guard.com

Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:15 pm

efudd wrote:Hello all, new here, I might buy an '86 ASAT that is missing it's neck pickup, are the current production MFDs just as good as the older ones, or will I have have to scour the planet for an original from the 80s? Also were/are these pickups made and marked neck & bridge or one type fits all? And, one more: are the current one ply plastic black pickguards unchanged? Will match right up to all the screw holes and cut outs ont the '80s guitar? Thanks

For the pickup differences, check out our List of pickups used in G&L guitars in the G&L Knowledgebase: General G&L Questions subforum.

Hope this helps.

Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:46 pm

I was curious about sound of the pups too, is this gonna be like the PAF and '50s fender pickup thing where anything less than an MFD from '86 will just not sound as good as the later ones?

Haven't bought it yet, I have a lead on a cheap but stock '88 SC3 too that doesn't need me to restore it. I've been through the whole vintage nonsense in the 70s / 80s. I'm done with that but remnants of it make me want to get the ASAT and put it back to the way Leo made it. Apparently it would be long hard work, and if I buy it the urge will never leave me alone.

I like the ASAT's feel and resonance, I think it's the maple bod. The SC3 is lighter, different feel but fine too. I just not a strat guy, in 30 years of playing I've never figured out why anyone needs 3 pickups. The SC3 is strange too, should just feel like a strat but feels more like a firebird - lotta neck. I play mostly acoustic now and it very odd to me.

I don't think the SC3 is maple, though it's supposed to be according to ggjaguar. Anyone know how to tell if it's maple (it's all black) short of dna analysis?