NGD: 2017 ASAT Special, Belair Green

Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:40 pm

The big brown truck just dropped this off today. It's a 2017 that seems to have been taken care of very well. I just peeled the protective plastic from the pickguard. There is some very slight wear on the frets so I know it was not just a closet queen. Now I have an SB-2, Legacy and this ASAT Special in Belair Green. I don't know if I'll try to get all of the models in that color but I do think I'll keep looking for an S-500, at least.

Image :D

Re: NGD: 2017 ASAT Special, Belair Green

Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:34 pm

Congrats bigjim! :happy0065:

Nice addition to your collection, and a beauty as well. When you get her fired up let us know your impressions.

Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:38 pm

nice guitar, love the color!
i have one of those, same year, but with a rosewood board.
congrats!

Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:40 am

sam wrote:Congrats bigjim! :happy0065:

Nice addition to your collection, and a beauty as well. When you get her fired up let us know your impressions.

I don't know how to play very well yet so I can't give a great review but my initial thoughts are; the bridge pickup is very similar the S-500 MFD but the neck sounds so much better. There is a much more full range sound with some nice bass/mids. I'm having fun playing Bound for the Floor (by Local H). I think Scott Lucas switches between a raw bridge pickup sound to the bass pickup he adds to his guitars on the two low strings (when live) but with this ASAT special I just start off in the bridge then switch between it and the middle position to get some bass sound during the chorus.

I love how I can just transition to some Skynyrd without grabbing a HB guitar, though I think I need to get my other amp up and running so I can have one set up just for MFD guitars and the other for the rest (and I need to figure out what guitars to leave in what tuning, haha). I don't need to tell you how dynamic the MFD pickups can be. I love it. I am not disappointed in this one in any way.

Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:18 am

Beautiful Special. I have a pink one from ‘21 with a slim C neck and it is simply gorgeous in every way. The Special provides so much tonalrange to work with