Doheny Pickup Swap

Sun Dec 11, 2022 3:39 pm

I'm thinking of throwing a pair of covered humbuckers into my Doheny. Does anyone know if the pickup openings in a Fullerton Deluxe Doheny HH pickguard line up with the pickup cavities in a regular Doheny?

Re: Doheny Pickup Swap

Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:06 pm

vacant wrote:I'm thinking of throwing a pair of covered humbuckers into my Doheny. Does anyone know if the pickup openings in a Fullerton Deluxe Doheny HH pickguard line up with the pickup cavities in a regular Doheny?

Here are side by side photos of the Doheny and the Fullerton Deluxe Doheny HH:

ImageImage

It looks doable to me. What do you think? :searching:

Hope this helps.

Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:08 am

In looking at the side by side pictures, you can tell the pickguards are different (notice the difference in space to the left of the bridge pickup) and the pickup mounting screw positions are different. You could probably buy a new pickguard from G&L and do the swap. There could be some subtle routing changes required under the pickguard as well.

Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:30 pm

It would definitly require a new pickguard as the Doheny pickups are larger than humbuckers and mount differently. I am hoping to avoid routing out the body though, so I was wondering if the body routs are similar/the same on the two types of Doheny.

Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:17 pm

I contacted G&L service and it sounds like a pickguard swap will work. So the next question I have is what value caps will I need? I looked at the Legacy 2HB with PTB wiring photo in the gallery and see there are three caps in the photo. Are both green caps .047 and the white one is 201?

Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:20 pm

vacant wrote:I contacted G&L service and it sounds like a pickguard swap will work. So the next question I have is what value caps will I need? I looked at the Legacy 2HB with PTB wiring photo in the gallery and see there are three caps in the photo. Are both green caps .047 and the white one is 201?

Most of the diagrams I'm seeing say to use ~200 pF on the volume, .022 (.022 - .047) uF on the Treble, and .0022 (.0015 - .0047) uF on the Bass pot.

Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:16 pm

vacant wrote:I contacted G&L service and it sounds like a pickguard swap will work. So the next question I have is what value caps will I need? I looked at the Legacy 2HB with PTB wiring photo in the gallery and see there are three caps in the photo. Are both green caps .047 and the white one is 201?

My suggestion is to contact G&L Service again and ask Memo to send you a copy of the Fullerton Deluxe Doheny HH model wiring diagram and ask him if the cap values are listed on that diagram.
If not, then could he tell you what they are.