N2M: 2000 ASAT Junior

Sun Oct 30, 2022 2:29 pm

On it's way to me this week.
CLF11190, #167 of 250 ASAT Jr, reportedly built in 2000.

ImageIMG_7824 by Jack Breeding, on Flickr

I missed out on these back in the day, occasionally have seen them around but never in a position to pick one up.
Until last night.

ImageIMG_7825 by Jack Breeding, on Flickr

It's a rarebird, only 250 made, and was already in the Registry from an ebay sighting 5 years ago.

ImageIMG_7826 by Jack Breeding, on Flickr

All the specs are well documented here https://www.ggjaguar.com/asatjr.htm with more info here http://www.yowhatsshakin.com/yowhatsshakin/G%26L_ASAT_Junior.html
but in brief, this was a 'for fun' model that Dave and John came up with in 1998 based on the idea of the Les Paul Jr. Chambered hog body, hog neck, ebony board. I love just about every color they've come up with in Fullterton but for some reason the guitars I come across are almost always red and black...

ImageIMG_7828 by Jack Breeding, on Flickr

Note the CCD 'sticker' on the back of the headstock. Well before they started inlaying the Custom Shop logo in walnut. This one seems to have had all it's data wiped off or perhaps faded over time. It used to show the date of completion and had Johnny's signature on it.
ImageIMG_7829 by Jack Breeding, on Flickr

ImageIMG_7830 by Jack Breeding, on Flickr

Looking forward to seeing what these pups sound like.
These pics are just from the auction, I'll take better ones when it arrives and pull the neck to get the dates in the Registry.

TJ

Re: N2M: 2000 ASAT Junior

Sun Oct 30, 2022 3:09 pm

Congrats TexasJack!

Great score, hope you saw my note when they dropped the price the second time. Was tempted as I have on but these need to be spread these sweet ASAT’s through the GLDP family. You will love the tones from this set up!!

Sun Oct 30, 2022 4:42 pm

Saw that Sam, appreciate the heads up! I just hadn't gotten around to posting a thanks on that thread.

Can't wait to warm up the 6V6s and give it a spin. :)

TJ

Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:46 pm

Congratulations. Let us know how you like it.

Sat Nov 05, 2022 5:28 pm

Quick review as I've only had a moment or two on it today after it arrived and haven't even plugged it in yet.

As a reminder, body and neck are mahogany, fretboard ebony.
Color is officially trans cherry but what color it is depends on how the light hits it.
From dark wet blood to Cheerwine soda. Really gorgeous.

The body is chambered and has RMC. You can see the chamber wrap around from the RMC port in the back but there are no other openings.
Unfortunately there's a bit of something hard rattling around inside there. Whatever it is is tiny and apparently non-functional as everything works great.
Not sure I'm going to be able to get it out so I'll just have to put up with it. Minor annoyance.

Very light weight, gotta be right around 7lbs. Frets have seen some action but plenty of life left.
Paint, controls, fretwork, fit and finish are excellent - especially given it's 21 years old.
It's clearly been played but no buckle rash or any other issues aside from the inevitable minor dings here and there.

Made the first week of Feb in 2000.
Excellent acoustic sustain. I put a fresh set of D'addario 10s on it so tomorrow after church I'll warm up the amp and see how she sings.

TJ

Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:50 am

Congrats on scoring the Jr. Looking forward to your tone report. I think the ASAT Jr. is a great-sounding guitar. Can't part with mine.