NGD Rarebird ASAT 50

Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:41 pm

Howdy all!

Well the bluebird of rarebird luckiness landed on my shoulder this past week. After a daily perusal of Reverb I spotted an ASAT 50 that called my name. :evilgrin: This rarebird fell under the adage, "Will I regret not getting, or trying to get this one?". With only ten built, and some cool electronic specs I had to go for it.

Below are some pictures, and it was well worth the purchase based on like new condition and all case candy and certificates. The sales tag even has Gene Engleharts signature. For those who are not familiar with Gene, he was a 30 year employee of G&L and one time Production Manager. At first glance the guitar was a beaut, and the birds eye maple neck just jumped out and feels great. Looks a lot like and feels like the Trinity necks. Weighs in at 7.94 lbs. A little chunky but evenly balanced weight wise. I like the nod to Leo Fender's original 1050 Esquire with "ESQ" written in neck pickup slot.

I was really looking forward to hearing the tone differences from the switching, because from Jos' page and the registry description of the bridge pup wired to a 3-way switch with capacitors for tonal differences, I was very intrigued. Well it lived up to the billing. My understanding of how the switching in this circuit was originally introduced, the first position was used by country and western bands to sound like a bass. The second position is the most versatile, for the fact that the tone control works with the lead pickup. The third position is the lead pickup full on no tone control. After playing it, I hear the bass in position 1 but can hear an acoustic tone which is pretty cool, position 2 is a standard tone and the third is the hottest and probably where I will live with this one. Only played a few times but like it a lot.

Did a quick comparison to an Asat Solamente with MFD pup and an Asat Classic semi-hollow and there is a different tone with each one. (Justification of each guitar should I be asked... :shh: )

Here are some gratuitous pics..

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

And a picture of designer Tim Page's business card had to be included. How ya' doin' Tim?

Will let ya know more thoughts as she gets played.

Now I'm off to run her through a Deluxe Reverb and find my inner Buck Owens. :alright:
Last edited by sam on Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: NGD Rarebird ASAT 50

Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:51 am

Very nice addition Sam , I would even even call it lovely ( so clean ). Play it in good health. From what I have seen Buffalo Brothers had commissioned some really excellent builds.

Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:59 am

Thanks Paul!

Yep the Buffalo Brothers had some great builds and a very cool shop. Had the pleasure of visiting once and almost purchased a bright yellow SC-3 with matching headstock, but my penchant for ASAT's held me back. The McLaren team has given us some sweet new builds lately for sure. :thumbup:

Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:58 pm

congrats sam, what a neck - you don't see these anymore.
might be able to rent that to the Boss!
sweet acquisition!!

Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:59 am

Thanks John!

Agree on the neck, pictures don’t do justice.

You know the Boss wants one of these. When he reads this post maybe he’ll send a PM! :evilgrin:

Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:09 am

Great score Sam. You seem to have been infected with the ASAT bug too ;)

- Jos

Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:40 am

Congrats, Sam! Nice score. Don't know how I missed seeing that one. And, pictures are never "gratuitous!"

Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:02 pm

thanks guys!

Jos - "Infected" by ASAT bug for sure. It has been a long-time suffering, but fortunately there is no vaccine or prescription available! :evilgrin:

tomanche - the only reason you missed it was because I jumped on it like a $20.00 Broadcaster at a garage sale. :banana: Pictures of neck pocket to come later.