G&L Dual Fulcrum Tremolo Saddle Changes

Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:17 am

I've got a nice G&L Legacy Special outfit with Dimarzio Injectors, and I do very much like it. However I managed to get a minor injury on my picking hand, and I had never noticed before that the saddles on the bridge are pretty much rectangles. There is no rounding on the front edge, so it started really digging into my hand. Looking at used G&L guitars, I only see these on some guitars, mostly made around 2012 or so. All the others have the standard saddles like they have now.

Does anyone have any more info on these saddles? While they are more angular, they definitely have a much more defined string notch on the front.

Re: G&L Dual Fulcrum Tremolo Saddle Changes

Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:23 pm

tbonesullivan wrote:I've got a nice G&L Legacy Special outfit with Dimarzio Injectors, and I do very much like it. However I managed to get a minor injury on my picking hand, and I had never noticed before that the saddles on the bridge are pretty much rectangles. There is no rounding on the front edge, so it started really digging into my hand. Looking at used G&L guitars, I only see these on some guitars, mostly made around 2012 or so. All the others have the standard saddles like they have now.

Does anyone have any more info on these saddles? While they are more angular, they definitely have a much more defined string notch on the front.

See these posts:
S-500 saddle positions
Anyone else notice new sharp edges on Legacy saddles?
Change of Tone - Bridge Saddles brass vs. die casting
G&L's DFS Vibrato System (2010-2015)

Hope this helps.

Re: G&L Dual Fulcrum Tremolo Saddle Changes

Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:44 pm

Craig wrote:See these posts:
S-500 saddle positions
Anyone else notice new sharp edges on Legacy saddles?
Change of Tone - Bridge Saddles brass vs. die casting
G&L's DFS Vibrato System (2010-2015)

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the info! Honestly I never noticed that they were different from the current and past G&L saddles until recently. My other Legacy is a 30th Anniversary with the DFS tremolo, so that was the only tremolo I had to compare it to. I'm on the fence right now over whether I want to swap out the boxy saddles for the current kind. I actually ordered a set a while ago because I assumed (wrongly) that the angular saddles were some type of aftermarket replacement.