Legacy HSS Pickup Wiring When HB is Split

Sat May 28, 2022 6:19 am

Hello all, I received my option order Legacy HSS a few weeks ago, and it's fantastic. When the HB is split, I expected its active coil to be hum-canceling when paired with the middle pickup, as on a typicalal SSS guitar, but it isn't. This seems strange to me, so is it normal? If so, anybody mod the wiring for a hum-canceling bridge/middle setting in single coil mode?

I don't play guitar on stage so it isn't a big deal, but in the event that changes I'd certainly like that enormously useful bridge/middle position in single coil mode to be hum-canceling.

Re: Legacy HSS Pickup Wiring When HB is Split

Sat May 28, 2022 8:59 am

Nedmundo wrote:Hello all, I received my option order Legacy HSS a few weeks ago, and it's fantastic. When the HB is split, I expected its active coil to be hum-canceling when paired with the middle pickup, as on a typicalal SSS guitar, but it isn't. This seems strange to me, so is it normal? If so, anybody mod the wiring for a hum-canceling bridge/middle setting in single coil mode?

I don't play guitar on stage so it isn't a big deal, but in the event that changes I'd certainly like that enormously useful bridge/middle position in single coil mode to be hum-canceling.

No, this is not normal. You should contact the selling dealer and let them know about this issue, as this would be covered by the warranty.
They should be able to get this fixed for you (either locally or have it sent to the Fullerton factory for repair).

Does your guitar have the mini-toggle switch or the push-pull volume or tone pot for coil splitting?
We have wiring diagrams in our Gallery for both types, see these links:
Album: Legacy HB Diagrams
Album: Legacy HB Deluxe Picture Diagram

Hope this helps.

Sat May 28, 2022 10:08 am

Great. Thanks very much. Mine has the mini-toggle. I don't want to send it back to Fullerton, so hopefully they'll cover a local repair.

Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:29 pm

I have a ‘98 Legacy HB with the same issue. When I split the humbucker (with the mini toggle) and use it with the middle pickup, there is no hum cancel. I bought it used about ten years ago and assumed it was functioning as intended. Also, the coil closest to the middle pickup is the active one when split. Is this proper or should the coil closest to the bridge be active and would that make it hum canceling?

Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:39 pm

mbstrums wrote:I have a ‘98 Legacy HB with the same issue. When I split the humbucker (with the mini toggle) and use it with the middle pickup, there is no hum cancel. I bought it used about ten years ago and assumed it was functioning as intended. Also, the coil closest to the middle pickup is the active one when split. Is this proper or should the coil closest to the bridge be active and would that make it hum canceling?

Well, if it isn't hum-canceling when you split the humbucker and use the bridge/middle position now, it should be if it's wired to use the other coil of the humbucker in single coil mode. I'm not sure which coil is supposed to be active when the HB is split, but it should be the one that's RWRP relative to the middle pickup.

I ended up getting mine fixed by my local tech/luthier, because the closest G&L dealer I trust is really inconvenient. (Or at least it was inconvenient when I got my guitar fixed, but I'm now working fairly close to it once a week. I need to drop by.)