ASAT build sheet re: OLS body depth

Sun May 15, 2022 5:53 am

Does anyone know if current build sheets for ASAT Classics denote Original Leo Spec body depth? My 2016 Special lists this as a body spec/option but I am looking at newer ASAT Classics online and not a one has had that listed. I thought this became default depth again but I may be mistaken. If it did become the new default maybe it's not longer listed on the spec sheet? Or maybe I'm just wrong and can't find one in the wild.

Re: ASAT build sheet re: OLS body depth

Sun May 15, 2022 8:11 am

TwangBanger wrote:Does anyone know if current build sheets for ASAT Classics denote Original Leo Spec body depth? My 2016 Special lists this as a body spec/option but I am looking at newer ASAT Classics online and not a one has had that listed. I thought this became default depth again but I may be mistaken. If it did become the new default maybe it's not longer listed on the spec sheet? Or maybe I'm just wrong and can't find one in the wild.

In 2017, OLS body depth became standard on all ASAT variant models.

Author: Craig [ Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:48 pm ]
Post subject: February 1-August 31, 2017 Body Options Other
This information is based upon the February 1, 2017 U.S. Dealer Price List.

Original Leo Spec Body Depth (1.625” mill-depth)
Now standard on all ASAT guitars and ASAT Bass.

I do notice that the glguitars,com website is still listing OLS body depth as an option.
I will bring this to my G&L contact's attention.

OTHER BODY OPTIONS
OLS body depth Original Leo Spec body depth for solid-body ASAT guitars. Reduced body thickness to 1.625″ mill-depth from 1.780″. This is the original body depth for ASAT guitars in the mid ’80s.
ORDER CODE: OLS

Hope this helps.

Sun May 15, 2022 7:01 pm

This does help because it means I should be confident that a solidbody ASAT built after 2017 should be at OLS thickness.

I am looking at a couple of guitars at one of the closer dealers to me, still a 3 hour drive, and both are manufactured the last couple of years but neither build sheet lists OLS anywhere, whereas like I said above my 2016 ASAT calls it our on the sheet.

I've come to love the slightly thinner but still slab (non-contoured) ASAT shape. It gives me more comfort that a full thickness T-style but retains the old school look.
Last edited by TwangBanger on Sun May 15, 2022 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun May 15, 2022 7:09 pm

TwangBanger wrote:This does help because it means I should be confident that a solidbody ASAT built after 2017 should be at OLS thickness.

I am looking at a couple of guitars at one of the closer dealers to me, still a 3 hour drive, and both are manufactured the last couple of years but neither build sheet lists OLS anywhere, whereas like I said above my 2016 ASAT calls it our on the sheet.

I've come to love the slightly thinner but still slab (non-contoured) ASAT shape. It gives me more comfort that a full thickness T-style but retains the old school look.

You should be able to tell the build year from the serial number CLFYYMM###, if it begins with CLF17-22, you can be certain it is OLS thickness.

Best of luck on your hunt for an ASAT.

Sun May 15, 2022 7:16 pm

Alas, the two this dealer has in stock are older than I thought, both date before 2017.