Fullerton Deluxe S-500, Comanche, or Skyhawk?

Thu May 05, 2022 2:03 pm

I'm currently in the market for a Fullerton Deluxe of some kind, particularly of the single coil variety. I really like the idea of the versatility of MFDs, but I'd like to be able to get some pretty convincing vintage strat type tones, as well. Which model do you all think I should go with? My biggest limitation is that all of my guitar spending money is tied up in Amazon gift cards, so my selection is limited (and getting more limited and pricier by the day). I just noticed that several guitars I was looking at went up about $300. Youchies. Anyway, any insight would be greatly appreciated. I was foolishly going to get a Fender AmPro II Strat, but I don't really like the V-Mod II pickups, and I'd rather get something Leo approved. Thanks!

Re: Fullerton Deluxe S-500, Comanche, or Skyhawk?

Thu May 05, 2022 3:08 pm

I'm no expert, I have one G&L ... and it's in a FedEx truck! But, in all the research I did about the Comanche, everyone agreed on one thing: You can make it sound very similar to a Strat, but not exactly the same.

I think you will need to listen to some good demos to decide if any MFD guitars will give you the sound that you are looking for.

That said, the Skyhawk sure looks nice!

Thu May 05, 2022 3:18 pm

Would recommend a used legacy with the clf-100 pups.

Thu May 05, 2022 3:44 pm

Horseflesh wrote:I'm no expert, I have one G&L ... and it's in a FedEx truck! But, in all the research I did about the Comanche, everyone agreed on one thing: You can make it sound very similar to a Strat, but not exactly the same.

I think you will need to listen to some good demos to decide if any MFD guitars will give you the sound that you are looking for.

That said, the Skyhawk sure looks nice!

Oh, I've watched every G&L video that exists on the internet multiple times, at this point. There just isn't really much out there as far as trying to make a guitar with MFDs sound like a classic Strat. What did you order?

Thu May 05, 2022 3:57 pm

SpagettButler wrote:Oh, I've watched every G&L video that exists on the internet multiple times, at this point... What did you order?

Oh, I know that feeling, heh.

I have a Comanche Tribute limited edition inbound. (It was supposed to be delivered today, but despite FedEx saying it is still on time, I expect a delay notification any time now, sigh.)

I'm very much a beginner but picked the Comanche because it has a reputation for good flexibility, and a well regarded tremolo mechanism. I also like things a little weird, so the Comanche's cool Leo pedigree, Z-coils, and limited ed. finish all spoke to me.

I'm honesty not that picky about crafting a particular sound since I can honestly barely play anything yet, so the fact that the Comanche is not a perfect Strat clone was fine with me. I am sure I will love it...

... as soon as that #@&* truck gets here!

Thu May 05, 2022 4:01 pm

Horseflesh wrote:
SpagettButler wrote:Oh, I've watched every G&L video that exists on the internet multiple times, at this point... What did you order?

Oh, I know that feeling, heh.

I have a Comanche Tribute limited edition inbound. (It was supposed to be delivered today, but despite FedEx saying it is still on time, I expect a delay notification any time now, sigh.)

I'm very much a beginner but picked the Comanche because it has a reputation for good flexibility, and a well regarded tremolo mechanism. I also like things a little weird, so the Comanche's cool Leo pedigree, Z-coils, and limited ed. finish all spoke to me.

I'm honesty not that picky about crafting a particular sound since I can honestly barely play anything yet, so the fact that the Comanche is not a perfect Strat clone was fine with me. I am sure I will love it...

... as soon as that #@&* truck gets here!

I agree with your choice. It seems like you can get close to pretty much any sounds you want with the Comanche. I hope you get it yet today! Please let me know what you think of it, whenever you do get it. I need all the help I can get deciding what I want.

Thu May 05, 2022 4:35 pm

I'll definitely share my thoughts, just factor in that I don't know what I am talking about yet. :mrgreen:

Thu May 05, 2022 5:17 pm

Horseflesh wrote:I'll definitely share my thoughts, just factor in that I don't know what I am talking about yet. :mrgreen:

I'm not great, either!

Thu May 05, 2022 8:54 pm

I own Comanches and Skyhawks. I haven't owned an S-500, though I've tested a couple. For my money, the Skyhawks are the closest to an older Fender sound—but with greater range and frequency response. I adore my Skyhawks. Note that I'm talking about 80's Skyhawks. I think the current ones use S-500 pickups, so the new ones might not sound quite like what I'm referring to. The original Skyhawk pickups had fewer winds and a lower magnet Gauss than 80's S-500 pickups, and sound warmer.

Comanches are way cool, but they have their own sound that's super clean and crisp, high definition, great with effects—but not as close to Fender.

Fri May 06, 2022 3:50 am

tomanche wrote:I own Comanches and Skyhawks. I haven't owned an S-500, though I've tested a couple. For my money, the Skyhawks are the closest to an older Fender sound—but with greater range and frequency response. I adore my Skyhawks. Note that I'm talking about 80's Skyhawks. I think the current ones use S-500 pickups, so the new ones might not sound quite like what I'm referring to. The original Skyhawk pickups had fewer winds and a lower magnet Gauss than 80's S-500 pickups, and sound warmer.

Comanches are way cool, but they have their own sound that's super clean and crisp, high definition, great with effects—but not as close to Fender.

Thanks for the help!

Fri May 06, 2022 9:59 am

If you look on YouTube you will find some videos of Glen Campbell brilliantly playing a beautiful blue Comanche. This was while he was suffering from Alzheimers disease, but somehow his playing seemed unaffected. He really got the most ouf of that guitar. Incredible playing and great sounding instrument.

Mon May 16, 2022 3:16 pm

I have a USA Comanche (with the hot Will Ray bridge pickup), USA Legacy HSS (brand new), and a 2004 Am. Series Strat with Lace Hot Golds. I've also tried a couple of S-500s, but not enough to have a strong opinion on them, so I'll stick to the Comanche.

For the most part, I think the Comanche sounds like a bigger, bolder Strat, with a more hi-fi essence and wider frequency response (especially lows). This is great for the bridge/middle combination in particular, because it's a classic tone, but with more aggression and punch, which if desired be tamed with the volume and tone controls. It is a fantastic tone. IMO, the one exception to the "big Strat" vibe is the neck pickup. Even with the bass control rolled down, it never captures that glassy, twangy Strat neck pickup tone. It's more like a single coil sized humbucker--which of course it basically is. It's a useful tone, but I would prefer something more traditional there, maybe an underwound version of the Z-coil.

I'm mostly a bass player and haven't played guitar in a band in a long time, but I suspect the Comanche would be fantastic in many band settings. The pickups are entirely noiseless, and the output remains relatively consistent across the pickup settings, both of which are advantages on stage. And it's an excellent match for effects. (All of this is also true of my Fender with Lace Hot Golds, which are incredible pickups IMO, and definitely sound more traditional.)

Mon May 16, 2022 4:02 pm

Nedmundo wrote:I have a USA Comanche (with the hot Will Ray bridge pickup), USA Legacy HSS (brand new), and a 2004 Am. Series Strat with Lace Hot Golds. I've also tried a couple of S-500s, but not enough to have a strong opinion on them, so I'll stick to the Comanche.

For the most part, I think the Comanche sounds like a bigger, bolder Strat, with a more hi-fi essence and wider frequency response (especially lows). This is great for the bridge/middle combination in particular, because it's a classic tone, but with more aggression and punch, which if desired be tamed with the volume and tone controls. It is a fantastic tone. IMO, the one exception to the "big Strat" vibe is the neck pickup. Even with the bass control rolled down, it never captures that glassy, twangy Strat neck pickup tone. It's more like a single coil sized humbucker--which of course it basically is. It's a useful tone, but I would prefer something more traditional there, maybe an underwound version of the Z-coil.

I'm mostly a bass player and haven't played guitar in a band in a long time, but I suspect the Comanche would be fantastic in many band settings. The pickups are entirely noiseless, and the output remains relatively consistent across the pickup settings, both of which are advantages on stage. And it's an excellent match for effects. (All of this is also true of my Fender with Lace Hot Golds, which are incredible pickups IMO, and definitely sound more traditional.)

That's good to know about the Comanche neck pickup, since that and the 4th position are probably my favorite tones on a typical strat. Hm. That makes it even more difficult, since I was kind of starting to lean towards the Comanche. Drat.

Mon May 16, 2022 6:19 pm

The Comanche has been my main gig guitar for the past 6+ years. not because it sounds like a strat, it really doesn’t . I keep a strat handy for strat tones, including that neck pup thing, though, I had a legacy with clf-100’s that sounded as good or better than any strat I have owned.

The tones and overall balls of the Comanche are the best I’ve played and heard in a live band situation. My les Paul used to rule that roost but it has been toppled. I think the z coils are part of it, the rest is just the craftsmanship and materials g&l used to build it back in 2013. The expander switch is nice for certain things, especially neck and bridge pups together, but it’s really just the Comanche package that I have come to love. And they’re not all the same. I bought one used at a gtr ctr that I just didn’t like, sold it back to them. I shelled out for my current one in 2015, “NOS”. Took a chance on line and it paid off. It’s the only USA g&l I ever bought new and I didn’t regret a penny.

Strat tones? My ‘84 Skyhawk is the best. What an amazing tone machine. The ebony board, hand carved and crafted, the 7.5 radius, the lower output mfd single coils. This probably approaches a nice 50’s strat. They don’t make’em like that anymore.

Mon May 16, 2022 6:34 pm

john o wrote:The Comanche has been my main gig guitar for the past 6+ years. not because it sounds like a strat, it really doesn’t . I keep a strat handy for strat tones, including that neck pup thing, though, I had a legacy with clf-100’s that sounded as good or better than any strat I have owned.

The tones and overall balls of the Comanche are the best I’ve played and heard in a live band situation. My les Paul used to rule that roost but it has been toppled. I think the z coils are part of it, the rest is just the craftsmanship and materials g&l used to build it back in 2013. The expander switch is nice for certain things, especially neck and bridge pups together, but it’s really just the Comanche package that I have come to love. And they’re not all the same. I bought one used at a gtr ctr that I just didn’t like, sold it back to them. I shelled out for my current one in 2015, “NOS”. Took a chance on line and it paid off. It’s the only USA g&l I ever bought new and I didn’t regret a penny.

Strat tones? My ‘84 Skyhawk is the best. What an amazing tone machine. The ebony board, hand carved and crafted, the 7.5 radius, the lower output mfd single coils. This probably approaches a nice 50’s strat. They don’t make’em like that anymore.

Dang. It's really a shame they don't make them very low output anymore. I feel like that's exactly what I want.

Mon May 16, 2022 6:50 pm

mid-'80's skyhawks show up on line here and there. They are not always cheap, but they are still around, just have to keep an eye peeled.
A comparable beast is the mid '80's SC-3. They use the same old nighthawk/skyhawk p'ups. I haven't owned one but others on here will tell you how toneful and cool they are. There are 3 of them on Reverb right now. One is yellow! (i have no affiliation with those for sale)

Tue May 17, 2022 11:08 am

To follow up, I think the fourth position on the Comanche also sounds great and fits the "big Strat" mold. In fact, I'd say positions two and four on the Comanche are among its major strengths, because they aren't as scooped as on a Strat. They have more punch, yet the essential tonal character is similar. I prefer position two on my Comanche to my Strat, which is an excellent example of the breed.

John O makes a good point that Comanches aren't all the same. I ordered mine after comparing a Comanche and Legacy Special at the shop, and thought that Comanche sounded fairly traditional in that comparison. Maybe that example's ash body contributed to that impression. Mine is empress. (BTW, I wish I'd bought that Legacy Special, which was incredibly light with a fantastic neck. I could have been a very happy camper just dropping a hot Lace Sensor into the neck position; the bridge pickup was excellent.)

Mon May 23, 2022 8:32 am

After hours and hours of deliberation, I ordered an S-500. Looks like I'll be receiving it today, but I'll have to hide it until the weekend because my father-in-law is staying at our house while he's in town, and I don't want his grubby hands on it.

Mon May 23, 2022 9:16 am

Congrats, let us know how you like it!

Mon May 23, 2022 11:21 am

Congratulations! :clap:

Looking forward to hearing more about your S-500. I’m an ASAT guy who leans to Z Coils, but S-500’s always get great reviews and have a meatier sound that sounds very enticing. Who knows, your reviews could push me over the edge!

Watch out for father-in-laws holding yer new baby! :evilgrin:

Sat May 28, 2022 1:49 pm

I haven't had much of a chance to do anything with it, but I have noticed a couple of questionable things about it. It kind of seems like the fingerboard edges aren't rolled. Also, the treble tone pot is much easier to turn than the volume and bass tone pots. It's weird.

Sun May 29, 2022 7:54 am

That said, it sure does sound nice. Plays well, too.

Sun May 29, 2022 8:26 am

SpagettButler wrote:I haven't had much of a chance to do anything with it, but I have noticed a couple of questionable things about it. It kind of seems like the fingerboard edges aren't rolled. Also, the treble tone pot is much easier to turn than the volume and bass tone pots. It's weird.

Congrats on your new G&L! :thumbup:
Did you order a Fullerton Deluxe S-500 or Option Order (now known as Build to Order)? If you did a Build to Order, which neck profile did you order?
Do have a mini-toggle expander switch or does it have the push-pull pot for the expander function? The push-pull pots do tend to be easier to turn.

We would love to see some photos, too! :searching:

And, don't forget to add it to our G&L Registry.

Sun May 29, 2022 9:33 am

Craig wrote:
SpagettButler wrote:I haven't had much of a chance to do anything with it, but I have noticed a couple of questionable things about it. It kind of seems like the fingerboard edges aren't rolled. Also, the treble tone pot is much easier to turn than the volume and bass tone pots. It's weird.

Congrats on your new G&L! :thumbup:
Did you order a Fullerton Deluxe S-500 or Option Order (now known as Build to Order)? If you did a Build to Order, which neck profile did you order?
Do have a mini-toggle expander switch or does it have the push-pull pot for the expander function? The push-pull pots do tend to be easier to turn.

We would love to see some photos, too! :searching:

And, don't forget to add it to our G&L Registry.

Thanks!

I started the registry process.

It's a Fullerton Deluxe. I was expecting a much more generous edge roll based on the neck profile description on the website, but I'm not sure it was rolled much, if at all.

It has the toggle expander switch, so the treble pot is only that.

What's the easiest way to post photos on here?

Sun May 29, 2022 10:22 am

SpagettButler wrote:What's the easiest way to post photos on here?

See this post: Tutorial: Posting photos.

Hope this helps.

Sun May 29, 2022 10:51 am

Sun May 29, 2022 6:24 pm

Looks great, congratulations!