Question about an early online G&L retailer.

Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:38 am

Here’s one that I kind of suspect is going to be tough to answer.

I first really developed interest in G&L in ‘98, maybe ‘99, having already been familiar with them from the ads in the magazines I hoarded in the 80’s. I was looking at buying a Legacy Special and spent a bunch of time reading forums (possibly an early incarnation of this one) and email lists as there wasn’t a local retailer that had one. At the time, there was a lot of love for a shop in North Carolina (I think) that was one of the first shops with a lot of inventory available for purchase on their website. I ended up calling the place and talking to someone about the specific guitar I was wanting and bought it shortly thereafter. Any one remember what the name of that place was?

I woke up this morning thinking of that guitar, and remembering how cool we thought it was that you could virtually browse a really deep inventory. Bums me out that I can’t remember the name of the place. Brains are weird.

Re: Question about an early online G&L retailer.

Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:56 am

Hey there!

Are you by any chance thinking of Indoor Storm in Durham, NC? Then owner Doug Abrams did the (first) "www.guitarsbyleo.com" Limited Edition in 1999 but they stopped carrying G&L not too long thereafter.

- Jos

Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:11 am

Yes! That’s amazing, thanks so much. No idea why I woke up with that rin my head but it’s been killing me all morning athat I couldn’t quite land on the name. Worse than a bad earworm on a long motorcycle ride.

I wish I still had that guitar. I sold it a few years later (for way too little money) to fund some other project I was working on. I seem to repeatedly do this; always ultimately re-buying whatever it was I sold, usually for much more money the 2nd time.

Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:47 pm

Pork Rind wrote:Yes! That’s amazing, thanks so much. No idea why I woke up with that rin my head but it’s been killing me all morning athat I couldn’t quite land on the name. Worse than a bad earworm on a long motorcycle ride.

I wish I still had that guitar. I sold it a few years later (for way too little money) to fund some other project I was working on. I seem to repeatedly do this; always ultimately re-buying whatever it was I sold, usually for much more money the 2nd time.

This is life. If I had a nickel for every guitar, motorcycle or car I passed up or sold long ago, that have more than quadrupled in value since, I could buy a nice fat steak at today's outrageous beef prices. :D

It's cool to reminisce though. Glad Jos helped you remember that place.

Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:34 am

I have #22 of 25 of the first GbL LE, played it yesterday as a matter of fact.

Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:25 pm

That’s super cool. I remember when those were being discussed back in the day. I spent some time on the Wayback machine looking at GbL threads, but something about the newsgroup-style posting back then didn’t live through the archiving process. And I can’t find my old Legacy Special in the registry either, although I and pretty sure I added it. Been digging through photo albums as part of a larger attic cleanup, hoping to find a pic of the serial number just to see if it ever turned up anywhere else.