How about a reissue of this model?

Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:25 pm

Love to have one of these:

http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/PICS/SC/BTHG2842.JPG

Can G&L even make these pups any more?

Re: How about a reissue of this model?

Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:45 pm

ieso wrote:Can G&L even make these pups any more?

Good question! I was looking at the MFD humbuckers in the picture and they are a bit narrower than the ones used in my 25th Anniversary (or on the F-100):
The buckers used in the HG-1 and HG-2 models (see the G&L pickup list) are currently not available. But you would guess that after returning the SC-2, the shown HG-2 might be revived too.

- Jos

Edit: fix image link after album was lost.
Last edited by yowhatsshakin on Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:40 am

I doubt G&L would ever consider a reissue with the old style HG2 or Angled offset humbuckers. I've had several HG2 pass through my hands the the pickups can only be described as hideously bright. I've also used these pickups in a variety of locations and combinations on an old ASAT and there really is little to like about them. However, if you have toasted all your high freq hearing from years of massive guitar volume they will probably suit you well! :shocked028: The rest of us will have to settle for EQ tweakage and some heavy use of the tone control....
Here are a few pics of an HG restored by the late Dr Zakin.

Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:57 pm

I don't think you'll ever see the HG-2 or Cavalier pickups made by G&L ever again. I dis-agree that they are too bright. I have had an HG pickup in my ASAT (see pic) and it sounds great with the MFD in the bridge. I also have a Cavalier angled pickup that I intend to install sometime soon.

Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:04 pm

Thumbs wrote:Image

Snaptastic! Sign me up for an HG-1!

Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:13 am

This sounds interesting to me. PRS is trying to launch their own minihumbuckers and market them as their noiseless alternative to singlecoils in the Swamp ash special narrowfield. Maybe a new trend not to be left out.