Color conundrum on a pair of L-2000s

Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:06 pm

Well, ONE L-2000 color conundrum...

1995 on the left, 1996/97 on the right:

The 1995 seems to be a standard "clear blue" finish right out of the catalog.

The 1996/7, on the other hand, is WAY lighter in color, and almost has a slightly green tint to it in person, making it close to a turquoise or teal color... and I can't find any info that would point to a color name, availability, etc. Was this a standard factory finish available? Some weird custom order?

Not sure if it matters, but the bass was first purchased new in a mom and pop type music store in late 1996 or early 97, and it's had the same owner since new.

Re: Color conundrum on a pair of L-2000s

Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:08 pm

Fawkes wrote:Well, ONE L-2000 color conundrum...

1995 on the left, 1996/97 on the right:

The 1995 seems to be a standard "clear blue" finish right out of the catalog.

The 1996/7, on the other hand, is WAY lighter in color, and almost has a slightly green tint to it in person, making it close to a turquoise or teal color... and I can't find any info that would point to a color name, availability, etc. Was this a standard factory finish available? Some weird custom order?

Not sure if it matters, but the bass was first purchased new in a mom and pop type music store in late 1996 or early 97, and it's had the same owner since new.

I suggest your contact Memo Romero [G&L Service Manager] during a weekday and ask him to look up both basses in the factory log book. Ask him for the body finish listed for each and the completion dates. His email address is repairs@glguitars.com and include the photos of both basses. I would be interested in what he finds and if they are both have a Clear Blue finish, ask him why they are so different.

Looking forward to hear what he has to say.

Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:06 am

clear finishes are gonna vary like that. If one piece of ash is darker/yellower than another, if one of them was exposed to more sunlight etc. Different factory worker could have applied less finish, mix could have been slightly different etc. To me they both look like G&L's perennial "clear blue."

Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:49 am

Both look great regardless. I kinda like the darker one but then again the wood grain really pops out on the lighter one. Very nice.