G&L Neck seems warped?

Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:49 pm

Take a look at my pictures

The action at the 1st fret is very different from the action at the 12th and u can see that the neck is definitely bowed or warped but no matter how much I adjust the truss rod in either direction it doesn't seem to help.
Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this and getting the strings level? Thanks

Re: G&L Neck seems warped?

Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:26 am

Getting the neck to play well involves several steps, and it takes more info than I want to write as a reply, but the steps I use are the following:
1. See if the neck can be adjusted with the truss rod to be almost straight, with a slight bow when you set a straight edge between the first fret and the highest fret
2. See if the action can be adjusted at the saddle so it is comfortable to play up and down the neck
3. In case Step 2 does not work, I have found cases where I have to shim the neck slightly to make the guitar work

Kit

Re: G&L Neck seems warped?

Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:28 am

Hard to tell from the photos. But I will say, there was a period during G&Ls rapid growth in the early 2000s where there was a rash of bad faulty truss rods and failing necks. I had one of them.

Also, was this badly neglected/exposed to extreme temperature and humidity changes? These can all contribute to a failing neck.

Good news is, if it's defecting/failing, it may qualify for warranty replacement. G&L tends to be super cool about that.