Change of Tone - Bridge Saddles brass vs. die casting

Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:11 am

Hi everybody,

I´ve got a 1996 G&L Legacy with rosewood neck(maybe, can´t find any year of contruction) and the saddles are heavy road word. They are made of die casting (zinc?).
I´ve purchased a set brass saddles at the online shop. I thought, I would get a faster and fatter ton. But - my Legacy has got now now a very bright tone with less bass, but a very fast response.
It feels like I´v got a mapleneck guitar. I like the faster response, but I´m missing some of the deeper tone.

Can the saddles also be made of stainless steel, so the Onlineshop inverted them? I also have got a F100 30th Anniversary - it hast got stainless steel saddles, but they work great with the mahagony body.

Re: Change of Tone - Bridge Saddles brass vs. die casting

Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:30 pm

Hubi72 wrote:Hi everybody,

I´ve got a 1996 G&L Legacy with rosewood neck(maybe, can´t find any year of contruction) and the saddles are heavy road word. They are made of die casting (zinc?).
I´ve purchased a set brass saddles at the online shop. I thought, I would get a faster and fatter ton. But - my Legacy has got now now a very bright tone with less bass, but a very fast response.
It feels like I´v got a mapleneck guitar. I like the faster response, but I´m missing some of the deeper tone.

Can the saddles also be made of stainless steel, so the Onlineshop inverted them? I also have got a F100 30th Anniversary - it hast got stainless steel saddles, but they work great with the mahagony body.

The neck is Hard Rock Maple with a Rosewood fretboard. The stock saddles would be die-cast zinc alloy.
The only saddles available for the DFV bridge in the G&L On-Line Store are the chrome plated Brass saddles.
G&L did offer Stainless Steel saddles and Trem blocks for a short period of time (they were available in
the G&L On-Line Store from 9/2013 until 12/2015), but they were long sold out of them before they were shipped to you.
So, it's not likely they sent you stainless steel saddles by mistake. If the ones you get from them are chrome plated, they would be the Brass saddles.

You may need to adjust the PTB settings to compensate for the tone differences.

Hope this helps.