Dual Fulcrum Vibrato - Must the bolts be level?

Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:51 am

Hello!

I've had a G&L Legacy for awhile but only started playing it with frequency recently. I noticed the bass side bolt of the two point tremolo is set about 1/16 higher than the treble bolt and am wondering if this will damage it? It stays in tune and functions well, I've just heard that the knife edge and bolts of the tremolo system can wear out and don't want this to happen prematurely. I purchased the guitar new from a G&L dealer and haven't messed with it since other than to change strings a couple times. Do you think it's safe to use in its current configuration or should I make sure the bolts are level with each other?

Thank you!

Re: Dual Fulcrum Vibrato - Must the bolts be level?

Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:50 am

WireAndMagnets wrote:Hello!

I've had a G&L Legacy for awhile but only started playing it with frequency recently. I noticed the bass side bolt of the two point tremolo is set about 1/16 higher than the treble bolt and am wondering if this will damage it? It stays in tune and functions well, I've just heard that the knife edge and bolts of the tremolo system can wear out and don't want this to happen prematurely. I purchased the guitar new from a G&L dealer and haven't messed with it since other than to change strings a couple times. Do you think it's safe to use in its current configuration or should I make sure the bolts are level with each other?

Thank you!

It depends upon whether or not the bridge plate is level with the body on both sides. If the bridge plate on the bass side bolt is higher (or lower)
than the other side of bridge plate, you will need to adjust the bolt which does not match. The key is to make sure that the bridge plate is level to the body all around.
The current factory setting for the bridge plate is 2/16" above the body. See: Current Factory setup for G&L guitars with vibrato bridges.

Hope this helps.