asat special with superbridge pick up

Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:23 pm

hi,

i recently purchased a long awaited asat special .. i also have a blues boy and a deluxe .. it took me about 3-4 practice sessions to really get & understand the guitar, amazing axe.. I hear that there is an option to put a super bridge pick up in? have any of you swapped out for the hotter pick up.. ? i would imagine that the general population that own a asat special have the stock pups and don't even know that there is an option for the super bridge.

thanks,

Rich
Last edited by rich7196 on Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: asat special with supbridge pick up

Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:02 pm

Hey Rich,

I’ve modded a few ASAT’s but not your suggested pup change. The SC-2 has the overwound big MFD in the bridge with standard big MFD NECK and these guitars get great reviews. I have a ASAT Super which has this pickup combination in a no f-hole semi hollow mahogany body that I love!

The super bridge pickup has a phenomenal big, rich, hot tone you will probably like. Tone will vary on the body your working with but I say go for it and let us know how it turns out. :thumbup:

Re: asat special with superbridge pick up

Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:36 am

thank you , I'll prob live with the stock for awhile.. then most liklely will swap out.

Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:32 pm

I put the super pickup in an ASAT Junior. It gave more meat, made the tone a little darker (but it remains plenty bright). I like this mod.

Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:43 pm

tomanche, that sounds like a mod I could try! :thumbup:

Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:32 pm

I could be wrong, but I think G&L stopped selling the Will Ray bridge pickup. I have a modern SC-2 with that pickup and really like the guitar.

Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:39 pm

Hey slowhand, you may be correct. They show sold out on the G&L store. Bummer, I was considering one to mod another guitar

Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:04 pm

too bad, looks like Upfront guitars is currently out of stock for the ASAT super bridge p'up.
i put one in one of my ASAT specials earlier this year and it was a perfect upgrade for blues rock stuff, sounds great clean as well. I hope they bring it back. Apparently has 1500 more turns than the usual p'up.

I also noted G&L is out of stock for the Will Ray Z-coil pup, also intended for the bridge position, but could be used anywhere.
I have not felt the need for this upgrade on the comanche, the current p'up performs well and i don't often play on the bridge p'up alone. Someone is selling one on reverb currently for a great price.

Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:28 pm

I recently tried one of them in my also recently acquired NOS 2016 ASAT Special and have since gone back to the original stock pickup. It wasn't a bad sounding pickup bit it didn't fully have the result I was hoping for and changed the middle position sound in a way that stood out more than the change by itself. I've gone back to using a Boosta Grande for the little extra kick into the amp I wanted.

I must've bought one of the last ones from Up Front, it was late October 2021 when I ordered it, now it's just sitting in the case.