Bel Air Green Paint Code?

Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:01 am

Hi, I have a question about Bel-Air Green.

I understand that it's a 55 or so Chevy Color? Does anybody know what the name of it was to get some touch up paint in that color?

Re: Bel Air Green Paint Code?

Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:09 am

derick wrote:Hi, I have a question about Bel-Air Green.

I understand that it's a 55 or so Chevy Color? Does anybody know what the name of it was to get some touch up paint in that color?

You might contact Memo (Service Manager) at the factory.
Here is the contact info: Tech_Support .

Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:10 pm

Please share what you do find out. Not that I plan on touching anything up but you never know. I do love that color. I have a Legacy and an SB-2 in Belair green and plan on finding some other models such as an LB100 or Legacy Bass and an S-500. I'm thinking of painting my '57 Chevy pickup to match if I ever get around to restoring it.

Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:54 pm

It's definitely an established dupont paint code. It's probably not called Belair green. The closest match I could find was an old Chevy color called "medium blue green." I'd start your search there.

Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:15 pm

If you have something in the color you want you can go to an auto paint shop and they can use a colorimeter to match it.

Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:11 am

Okay, this is the story on Bel-Air Green

Dave and Johnny came up with that color. Their dad looked at it and said that it reminded him of a two-tone 57 Chevy that he had owned.

Thus, the color got it's name. It is reportedly a unique G&L color.

The computer match suggestion is an excellent one.

Regards,

-Don

Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:57 pm

Thx, Don!
is there a similar story for Fullerton Red?

Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:05 pm

I have a commercial and pretty cheap colorimeter called Color Muse. It does a good job of providing matches to stock house paints and accessory items where the manufacturers have published their color palate. However it doesn't do automobile paints and it doesn't output RGB or CMYK color components. However you might be able to find a similarly priced device that will provide the color data you need. If you have local auto paint shop, that is probably your best bet.

Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:08 pm

All of this talk about Belair Green reminds me of a Belair Green triple bound ASAT Z3 I hesitated on and missed years ago, and haven’t seen her since.

Great color, post guitars if ya got ‘em in this color. :thumbup:

Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:42 am

john o wrote:Thx, Don!

In his book on G&L guitars, George Fullerton talks about having Fullerton Red mixed up, it was essentially his own idea and color. Apparently he was ridiculed for it when he showed a red Stratocaster to others around the Fender factory.

Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:30 am

thx, i downloaded the book and will check it out.
fullerton red is such a vibrant color, bright and at the same time mellow.
Fender's Fiesta Red is similar, but not as appealing to me as fullerton red.
I feel the same way about the belair green, very appealing.
I do think fiesta red looks cool on some of the vintage fenders like Richard Thompson's strat.

https://www.premierguitar.com/artists/g ... -alchemist

Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:20 pm

since we like pictures, two of my favorite colors:

belair green 2017 ASAT special...

fullerton red 2007 ASAT special...

Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:20 pm

Thanks for sharing John, them’s are purty! :happy0065:

Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:25 am

john o wrote:Thx, Don!

Okay, I found my copy of George Fullerton's book, on page 31/32 he talks about Fullerton Red.

George states that he had a local paint store mix it, and it was painted onto a Jazzmaster prototype in 1957, the jazzmaster wasn't actually introduced until 1958. The sales department got a big laugh out of it and sent back a very negative report on this red guitar. The book also contains a color photo of George playing this guitar.

Interestingly, George states that when they started making large orders of this color, the paint store called it "Fiesta Red." So, Fiesta and Fullerton Reds are the same color, according to George.

Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:22 am

Okay, the good news is that I have found a source for some Bel-Air Green paint.

This is the SC-2 that I bought 10 years ago on an Ebay auction, it had hung on a dealer wall in NJ for nearly three years, with a truly crappy setup and some finish damage...

I will have my luthier buddy in the Ozarks repair this and post the after pictures...