Newer Comanche restring suggestion

Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:01 pm

I have used Elixer strings for years on my guitars and never had issues. I have always heard stories about them sounding dull, but I always loved them and they last so much longer.

Last weekend I restrung and went with a medium gage Elixer string. The bridge and neck are adjusted pretty well.

I do not think this is in my head. There's a definite something missing. It just feels dull on certain strings. Perhaps the heavier gage was a bad idea with the floating bridge or is it more likely that Elixir strings just don't go well with Comanches. I know floating bridges steal energy from the vibrating strings and can affect sustain, so I'm wondering if the heavier gage is causing issues. I did not notice this before, even when the strings needed replacement.

Anyone have recommendations?

Re: Newer Comanche restring suggestion

Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:38 pm

bokonon82 wrote:I have used Elixer strings for years on my guitars and never had issues. I have always heard stories about them sounding dull, but I always loved them and they last so much longer.

Last weekend I restrung and went with a medium gage Elixer string. The bridge and neck are adjusted pretty well.

I do not think this is in my head. There's a definite something missing. It just feels dull on certain strings. Perhaps the heavier gage was a bad idea with the floating bridge or is it more likely that Elixir strings just don't go well with Comanches. I know floating bridges steal energy from the vibrating strings and can affect sustain, so I'm wondering if the heavier gage is causing issues. I did not notice this before, even when the strings needed replacement.

Anyone have recommendations?

Try adjusting the individual pole pieces of each pickup up/down on the strings which are dull.
Also, check out this post: Comanches For Dummies Redux by BoogieBill.

Hope this helps.

Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:51 pm

Haven’t noticed that but I use 10-46 Ernie balls on the Comanche with no issues. I like elixirs, use them on some other gtrs, no problems there either.

Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:55 am

I didn't even think about the pickup adjustments I could make. Thanks. I'll try this and report back