Anyone else missing the 12" radius?

Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:57 am

Note: This post refers to US made guitars, not Tributes or basses...

One of the things I've loved about G&L over the years was the 12" radius (I know this wasn't exclusive and there have been 7.25", etc., but for the most part, 12" was common). While I appreciate it still being offered as an option (I've ordered 2) it would be nice to buy "off the rack" once in a while and not have to wait months and pay for something that was common for so long. Same goes for Indian rosewood, but that's a whole other matter.

Wouldn't it make sense to further distinguish models from one another and offer both? For example, why not offer the S-500 in 12" and the Legacy in 9.5" (or vice versa) or offer the ASAT Special in a 12" and the Classic in 9.5" (again, or vice versa). I love G&L and want to support the brand but they're not going to profit from people like me hunting for used ones with a 12" radius, and although there's the ability to place an "options order", I'm sick of waiting and dealing with clueless retailers.

G&L has always been about evolution, so why follow Leo's namesake now? Even they're offering compound radius on their high end models and 12" on their new pricier Mexican models.

So, anyone else missing the 12" radius?

Re: Anyone else missing the 12" radius?

Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:25 pm

i like the 12 in radius, particularly for solos/scales and have this on my '81 F100 series 1, '07 ASAT special and '13 comanche, the latter 2 with the #1 Classic C neck which was chunkier than the modern classic/9.5 that is the default for the Fullerton series now. i understand G&L limiting their options in neck production to keep costs down, but i do think it would be enticing to try a modern classic profile with the 12 in radius, or even a compound radius, like the "other guys."

Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:39 pm

G&L has limited production capability when compared to someone like Fender. I suspect they found that most customers chose the 9.5 inch radius neck, so that is what they use for their production models, and allow customers to choose what they want when they option order an instrument.

Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:29 pm

john o wrote:i like the 12 in radius, particularly for solos/scales and have this on my '81 F100 series 1, '07 ASAT special and '13 comanche, the latter 2 with the #1 Classic C neck which was chunkier than the modern classic/9.5 that is the default for the Fullerton series now. i understand G&L limiting their options in neck production to keep costs down, but i do think it would be enticing to try a modern classic profile with the 12 in radius, or even a compound radius, like the "other guys."

Right on, John! Four of my current G&L's have the modern classic/12" radius/satin finish. The rolled edges are more obvious (to me) giving it a nice worn in feel. I highly recommend it. That being said...I like a variety of neck carves and nut widths - fat/thin/V/C/D, 1 11/16" or 1 5/8" BUT when it comes to radius, every G&L I've ever owned has been 12". :D As far as saving money, they're already selling $1500 guitars without Indian rosewood fingerboards or a hardshell case. Maybe they're having an identity crisis. ;)

Tooslowhand wrote:G&L has limited production capability when compared to someone like Fender. I suspect they found that most customers chose the 9.5 inch radius neck, so that is what they use for their production models, and allow customers to choose what they want when they option order an instrument.

I agree that you can't compare G&L to Fender when it comes to production capability but this is a long established specification change. Most manufacturers seem to be going in the other direction. I'm seeing more 14" and compound radius necks than ever before. Are you saying you suspect that most of their custom or options orders requested a 9.5" radius over the years? Option orders weren't always a thing, were they? If that is the case then there must be a whole lot of Fender defectors out there. I'd love to know.

Has G&L ever made an official announcement?

Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:31 pm

I’m with you guys on the 12” radius, my pick for sure. Loved the 7.25 for years, and when 12 came around I thought this is an excellent option. Now the 9.5 I could never bond with. Since I’m a cheap bottom feeder buying used stuff I look for 7.25 and 12’s.

Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:14 pm

G&L's smallest radius is 7.50" not 7.25". See this post in our G&L Knowledgebase Forum: What are the USA neck size options, past and present?.

Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:14 pm

Thanks for the reminder Craig ;)

Have been playing 7.5 for ever, slip of the very tired brain…… :zzz:

Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:18 am

Yes, I definitely miss the 12" radius, which was one reason I grew to prefer G&L over Fenders. I was always comfortable with Fender's 9.5" radius, on both guitars and basses, but on basses I soon realized I played a little better on the flatter fretboards, and now it's a fairly strong preference. On five-string basses a flatter fretboard is essential, because I can't stand reaching over a "hump" to access the lower strings. I recently sold a G&L JB-5 bass mostly for this reason. (I had bought it used, so I was willing to take the risk with the 9.5" radius, but I just couldn't bond with it.)

Unfortunately I got caught in the spec change in 2015 with my special-order Comanche. Even though it was ordered when the 12" radius was still the default, it showed up with a 9.5" radius. I thought about trying to get it changed, but the playability is fantastic anyway and it's perfectly built, so I just let it go. For some reason, maybe the Plek-leveled frets, it does feel a little flatter than my Fender Strat with a 9.5" radius.

I suspect G&L switched to 9.5" to make Fender players feel more comfortable when testing G&L instruments. When you're used to 9.5", as I was, the 12" radius can feel a little strange initially. Maybe G&L thought it was losing some sales for this reason.

But like others, I've noticed that the industry seems to be moving toward flatter fretboards, even Fender. A few days ago I tested one of the new Player Plus HSS Strats with the 12" radius and rolled fretboard edges, and it felt fantastic.

Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:28 am

Nedmundo wrote:
Unfortunately I got caught in the spec change in 2015 with my special-order Comanche. Even though it was ordered when the 12" radius was still the default, it showed up with a 9.5" radius. I thought about trying to get it changed, but the playability is fantastic anyway and it's perfectly built, so I just let it go. For some reason, maybe the Plek-leveled frets, it does feel a little flatter than my Fender Strat with a 9.5" radius.

See this post for a possible reason why the dealer did not place the order with a 12" radius. It's too bad that the dealer did not inform you about this before sending your order in. But it does sound like this worked out ok for you.

Author: Craig [ Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:27 am ]
Post subject: Re: Custom order neck
drk64 wrote:
I just received my custom ordered Legacy HB with a #4 neck with an Ebony board its real nice like a baseball bat its even better for my large hands than the 4a on the Cantrell models who told you you cant get them anymore

It turns out that the #4 neck was mistakenly left off the latest US Dealers Price List (August 1, 2014).
I discovered this when the factory was building the NAMM guitars for winter NAMM in January and
a couple were built with the #4 neck and posted on G&L's facebook page. I checked with Dave McLaren
and he told me that it was accidently left off. I then corrected the G&L Knowledgebase, see viewtopic.php?p=81515#p81515.
Last edited by Craig on Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: corrected Dealer Price List reference from 2015 to 2014

Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:33 am

Here is a post which might be help all understand why the changes were made:
New G&L U.S. Model Categories ....

Specifically, my reply post, which was posted Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:24 am:
Here is what was sent to the G&L Dealers in yesterday's announcement:

Meet the New FULLERTON DELUXE Models

Fullerton Deluxe = More Value

The value delivered by Made-in-Fullerton G&L is legendary, just like the wide range of finishes, pickguards and other options offered by the factory. The new Fullerton Deluxe models pack some of the best combos on some of the most popular models, and deliver them with savings over our traditional G&L Option Order menu.

Fullerton Deluxe = More Convenience

Fullerton Deluxe is a result of listening to our dealers and overseas distributors.

We learned that while you appreciate the wide range of options the factory offers, you want more easy-to-manage Made-in-Fullerton instruments. We also learned that you like the convenience and added sales of Fullerton Standard models and you would like upscale models too.

That's why Fullerton Deluxe instruments have fixed specifications and SKUs, making them easy to inventory and re-order.

We learned that some retail customers prefer not to consider many available options, just a few choices is more comfortable for them.

That's why the Fullerton Deluxe range presents just a few elegant selections within each model.

Phase 1 of the Fullerton Deluxe range is focused on certain guitar models, with over 30 SKUs across 6 models. This fall, we plan to introduce Phase 2 of the Fullerton Deluxe range which will add basses and other guitar models. Each Fullerton Deluxe guitar is shipped with a traditional G&L Tolex case with plush lining.

Hope this helps.

Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:22 am

My 2001 ASAT Deluxe Semi Hollow has a 12” radius, my first large radius fretboard and I really like it. The ebony fretboard is amazingly smooth. I believe what comes out of an instrument is mostly due “to the fiddler, not the fiddle”, but I feel blessed to have such a lovely instrument. I believe the bridge pickup is not OEM but a bare knuckles humbucker—-perhaps too bright for my taste, but it’s OK.

Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:00 am

I used to think I "needed" a flatter radius but with the quality of setup the PLEK provides I can just as easily play 9.5" radius as I could a 12" radius.