Indian Rosewood

Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:27 am

Anyone know if there is now an upcharge for Indian rosewood? It seems maple or Carribean are now standard. Speaking of which...what are your thoughts on Carribean/Chechen rosewood? Is it anything like Pau Ferro?

Re: Indian Rosewood

Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:20 pm

Arpeggio wrote:Anyone know if there is now an upcharge for Indian rosewood? It seems maple or Carribean are now standard. Speaking of which...what are your thoughts on Carribean/Chechen rosewood? Is it anything like Pau Ferro?

Yes, since January 25, 2018, when they changed the standard fretboard woods to Maple and Chechen (aka Caribbean Rosewood), and
added Indian Rosewood as an optional (upcharge) fretboard wood type.

Caribbean Rosewood (aka Chechen) is described (by G&L) as "Less bright tone than Maple".

Hope this helps.

Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:21 pm

Thank you, Craig! Kind of a bummer that we still have to pay extra for rosewood at this point. I haven't had a chance to play one, but if Chechen feels anything like Pau Ferro it's not for me. May as well go for ebony if I have to pay for something outside of maple. Who knows, maybe I'll eventually play one and not care.

Anyone else wanna share their opinion on Carribean/Chechen? :searching:

Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:17 am

The chechen on my Legacy is far closer to indian rosewood in both look and feel than it is to pau ferro.

Like, close enough you wouldn't know it wasn't indian rosewood. And close enough I wouldn't pay an upcharge to replace it with indian rosewood.

I wouldn't even compare it to those other guys switching to pao ferro at all.

Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:14 am

TwangBanger wrote:The chechen on my Legacy is far closer to indian rosewood in both look and feel than it is to pau ferro.

Like, close enough you wouldn't know it wasn't indian rosewood. And close enough I wouldn't pay an upcharge to replace it with indian rosewood.

I wouldn't even compare it to those other guys switching to pao ferro at all.

Cool, thanks!