NGD ASAT SH sparkly and modded

Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:51 pm

Hi y’all,

This red-headed sparkly girl found her way to my humble abode about three months ago, just haven’t taken time to show her off. The red glitter on top and bottom was a major draw to me grabbing this. :cheers:

Have been missing a ASAT SH with big MFD’s and this came along. The custom Vintage Vibe humbucker sits right in the MFD pup space with no body mods. They look a little different than MFD’s, no step up on the sides and the string line up is a little countered but they sound really rich in this guitar. Bridge alone will bring plenty of gain or boost, middle position has a great sound from jazz to prof - reverb and a tone knob do wonders with this pup setting and the SH body - neck alone is the good ol’ MFD tone.

This guitar is great addition to the ASAT herd, that truly brings a different variety that helps it stick out from the pack. To say the least, the red glitter and matching headstock make her stick out in a crowd. I do like the Vintage Vibe bridge pup, but our own “neutralomen” has some Revel pickups he recommended which I will eventually get for the bridge and do an A/B. For the time being, this little beauty is getting lots of attention. :alright:

Happy pickin’!

Re: NGD ASAT SH sparkly and modded

Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:39 pm

Nice to see more pups with a G&L footprint.
The RioGrande were the only ones I knew of off hand.
I've heard good things about ZexCoils...ever tried 'em?

Way cool guitar...I'm sparkling with envy :cheers:

Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:07 am

hey Sam the red sparkle really pops on this ASAT!
the bridge pup looks interesting, nice to have an option there.
congrats on the find! :thumbup:

Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:00 pm

Thanks for the kudos!

The picture doesn’t do it justice, will try to get a better picture. The bridge humbucker was the tipping point for this purchase. When I first plugged in, it was obvious this has different blood in the veins of a standard ASAT SH.

Elwood, like you I had seen the Rio Grande, and heard of the Revel pups from neutralomen but never tried any big MFD replacement. Will look up ZexCoils, always interested in new options!

Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:05 am

Nice guitar Sam! Happy pickin' indeed! And FWIW, Gabe Dellevigne uses ZexCoils in his builds and you might have seen them here and there on this forum already when one of Gabe's Interceptor (re)builds would make n appearance.

- Jos

Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:53 am

That is a really nice looking unique Asat. It is also the only guitar that I have ever seen that looks good with a pearl pick guard. I look forward to a tone report on this one !

Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:04 am

Jos and Paul thanks.

Will look for some of Gabe’s old posts and try to learn more about ZexCoils. Didn’t think of this too much, but the pearl guard does go with this color. Put all of ittogether and it could bring me out of my shell! :lol049:

Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:55 pm

Looks great, Sam. Congratulations.