Body wood selection for a Fallout?

Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:49 am

Hey all,

I'm close to ordering a Fallout and am stuck on a wood selection for the body. I have three guitars that have Okoume backs with maple caps, two are Musicman guitars, and one is a G&L Custom Shop ASAT. They are all in the 7 lb. range give or take a couple of ounces. I have a Fullerton Deluxe ASAT Special that is 8 lbs and has an Alder body. I've had an American Standard Telecaster that was swamp ash and Les Paul like heavy, so I gave it away.

I want a nice sounding guitar, but not something I won't play with significantly lighter or more comfortable guitars on hand. This need to be inline with them or it's really not worth doing..

Anybody have experience with a basswood G&L, and better yet a Fallout? How is it tonally? Is it soft to the point of pranging it and leaving dents where another guitar likely wouldn't have if you bump it? Is your basswood guitar light? What is it if you have one, and how much does it weigh?

Alder? Do you have an Alder bodied Fallout? What type of weight is typical? Is the sound pleasing to you? Would you choose this again?

Okoume? Anybody have an Okoume Fallout? If so how does it sound and how heavy it is? How does it sound?

Thanks for any insight... I want to order but just can't pull the trigger yet because I'm not feeling good yet about this part of it..

Re: Body wood selection for a Fallout?

Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:59 pm

I have two USA Fallouts. One is alder with quilt maple and one is East Indian Walnut. They both weigh 7 pounds 5 ounces. The Fallout has a smaller body, so I would think you could pick any wood you prefer and be in your expected weight. That being said, every piece of wood is different. I’ve seen light and heavy guitars of the same model with the same species of wood. Your best bet is to work with your dealer and express your weight concerns and expectations and make sure they are met when you have the custom build done.