ASAT new acquisition... which type

Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:45 pm

Hello all,

As of today I'm the proud owner of a beautiful Fullerton-built ASAT. I bought a Tribute ASAT Classic last year, and I adore it. But I've had my eye out for one of these for ages, so I'm really happy to have found one in the second hand market!

Sold in its original case, the seller didn't know a lot of info about it, other than he was told it was made in 1995. He listed it just as an "ASAT", but as you can see, it has three single coil MFDs, so from looking over the info on here, I think it might be an ASAT iii.

As you can see, three bolt neck, serial number is G046538.

It's in impeccable condition, considering it's likely nearly 30 years old.

Speizel (sp?) tuners

5-position pup selector switch

Plus a handwritten note, not sure if this relates to a previous owner or the original one..."Merv's G&L, Under neck Oct 1st 1995"

I'd love to get it on the registry, so if anyone can help me figure out what it should be properly listed as, I'd be very grateful.

Cheers!

Re: ASAT new acquisition... which type

Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:24 pm

Welcome to our site! :greet:

As you thought, your G&L guitar is an ASAT III.
For information on this model, see this post in our G&L Knowledgebase:
List of Regular Production ASAT-style guitars (USA)

For information on using our G&L Registry and other parts of the guitarsbyleo.com site, see this post:
Welcome! Read This First

Hope this helps.

Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:37 pm

Hello, and the brand of the tuners is Sperzel.

David

Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:02 am

Thanks guys!

From reading other parts of the forum (including the links Craig posted) I know that there were two production runs of ASAT iii models. One ended in 1991, then the second started in 1996. The serial number beginning G leads me to think it might be part of the first run. But then the neck is dated '95... All in all this leaves me wondering where this guitar fits in?

Equally, I'm not sure whether the body is Ash or Alder.

Any thoughts?

Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:41 am

welcome, beautiful ASAT iii!

that looks like Ash (alder is less grainy and is usually used with solid color finishes)

looks mid-90's-ish. they stopped the "3 bolt" plates after '97

Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:40 am

egg wrote:Thanks guys!

From reading other parts of the forum (including the links Craig posted) I know that there were two production runs of ASAT iii models. One ended in 1991, then the second started in 1996. The serial number beginning G leads me to think it might be part of the first run. But then the neck is dated '95... All in all this leaves me wondering where this guitar fits in?

Equally, I'm not sure whether the body is Ash or Alder.

Any thoughts?

It is Swamp Ash. The Premier finishes include a Swamp Ash body. The finish on yours is Clear Forest Green.
Here is another post for you to read: Serial number significance.

If you want to find out the completion date on your guitar, you might contact Memo (Service Manager) at the factory.
Here is the contact info: Tech_Support .

Hope this helps.

Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:19 pm

Hey egg,

Congratulations and you will learn there are many tones in that there geetar! :happy0065:

Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:53 pm

Nice guitar, congratulations.

I agree with what Craig said; try contacting G&L directly to get more info on the guitar. They helped me with the production date on one of my guitars.