Few G&L lefty guitars, especially "Rock" guitars.

Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:25 pm

Man! I was so excited to the see the Cantrell guitar on the home page and thought how sweet it would play next to my BluesBoy, but there in striking blue letters:

NOT AVAILABLE LEFTHANDED

ok, how about the Comanche?

NOT AVAILABLE LEFTHANDED

Wow, the Z-3 and the Will Ray look...

NOT AVAILABLE LEFTHANDED

Hey the Invader, I bet the invader is ava...

NOT AVAILABLE LEFTHANDED

Do I want another ASAT? Nope. I can think of 10 other styles I would like to pick up but G&L is not making anyone of them AVAILABLE LEFTHANDED

Re: Few G&L lefty guitars, especially "Rock" guitars.

Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:07 pm

The Commanche and Will Ray are due to Z pickups. The Invader likely due to not having/keeping a supply of Lefty Floyds around.

There are plenty of other options there for 'rock' though.

The best work around is not learning to play an instrument backwards (advice from one lefty to another :happy0007: )

Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:20 pm

sirmyghin wrote:The Commanche and Will Ray are due to Z pickups. The Invader likely due to not having/keeping a supply of Lefty Floyds around.

The best work around is not learning to play an instrument backwards (advice from one lefty to another :happy0007: )

There are a few lefty's out there already that aren't exactly country.

Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:54 am

@sirmyghin
Yes, I started on my older brothers ES-335 when he would leave the house. He came home one day and asked what I was doing with his guitar upside down.

@hlg
Nice Interceptor! Is it stock or did you modify it?

Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:25 am

Jimmyphats wrote:@sirmyghin
Yes, I started on my older brothers ES-335 when he would leave the house. He came home one day and asked what I was doing with his guitar upside down.

@hlg
Nice Interceptor! Is it stock or did you modify it?

No modifications here. It came from the factory just as you see it. Every now and then you can run across one of the rare leftys if you keep an eye open.

Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:06 am

There are a few out there, although my lefty preferences are at the other end of the spectrum. I've seen a lefty Comanche in the hands of Rick Witthaus. You can always add a bridge HB to any of the bathtub routed Legacy/S-500 models; the stock S-500 pickups are certainly hot enough. In fact, I found that turning down the treble on the PTB gave a very nice mid-boost feeling even with a low gain set up. With a TS type pedal in front of the amp, you'd go pretty far into rock territory.

Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:49 pm

Well, sometimes you just gotta take matters into your own hands 8-)

This ASAT started its life as an ASAT 3, but fellow G&Ler burnt999 provided the Z Coils and the hand cut pickguard, and now its possibly the only ASAT Z3 in lefty! I wouldn't call it a "Rock" guitar though. The Z Coils still sound very much like single coils, and have some nice quack to them. I also have it wired with the S-500 "expander" switch to get the extra two positions (neck + bridge and all 3 pickups) . Lots sounds to be had here!

Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:22 am

At least there is the Legacy 2HB ....

Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:31 am

Good looking guitar :happy0065: Congrats! Is the color Candy Apple Red? The reason I'm asking is that when you look at the horns there seems to be a bit of graininess that might make you believe it is some metal flake. And my blonde CLF Centennial shows similar kind of graininess in photos and upon close inspection whereas it is most decidedly not flake!

Curious me

Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:47 pm

It's a right handed world and us lefties have to deal with it. I'm glad I'm able to play right handed. I wonder why some left handed people can and others cant?

Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:23 am

rockworthy wrote:It's a right handed world and us lefties have to deal with it. I'm glad I'm able to play right handed. I wonder why some left handed people can and others cant?

No clue, we need to use both hands so it has baffled me. There must be a degree of dependence or something, where either experience or some variety of hard wiring brings someone closer to ambidexterity. Seeing as most things out there (tools especially) are not made left handed, I would gravitate more to the prior, which does not help me justify lefty instruments.

Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:30 pm

As a lefty, I always freak people out by playing righties upside down. Learning for me was due to wanting to check out other guitars and picking up whatever axe was nearby. Damn anti-leftites. BTW, the intro to Seasons of Wither upside down is the theme from Room 222. And you can flip righties off with a G chord.

Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:35 pm

I cant use the pens that "twist " to open because as a left handed person the movement used in writing closes them.

Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:49 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote:Good looking guitar :happy0065: Congrats! Is the color Candy Apple Red? The reason I'm asking is that when you look at the horns there seems to be a bit of graininess that might make you believe it is some metal flake. And my blonde CLF Centennial shows similar kind of graininess in photos and upon close inspection whereas it is most decidedly not flake!

Curious me

The finish is difficult to take a good photo of, it is Candy Apple Red and is also slightly metallic.

A shot taken outdoors in sunlight ...

and indoors in daylight

Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:08 am

sirmyghin wrote:The Commanche and Will Ray are due to Z pickups. The Invader likely due to not having/keeping a supply of Lefty Floyds around.

I don't know about the pickups - Here's a video of Don playing his Lefty Commanche: http://www.youtube.com/user/Donny10#p/u/32/QyJIHyP3YCM

I think its ' a "one off" :(

Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:13 am

sirmyghin wrote:

I'll second that. I learned to play backwards 30 years ago - quit for 25 years, then learned to play a real left-handed guitar. Learning backwards a long time ago still messes with my brain at times.. :lol:

Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:10 pm

Lefty wrote:

I don't know about the pickups - Here's a video of Don playing his Lefty Commanche: http://www.youtube.com/user/Donny10#p/u/32/QyJIHyP3YCM

I think its ' a "one off" :(

and now I own it!! :happy0007: :happy0007: :happy0007:

Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:12 pm

This is my "Centennial S-500", thanks to Thumbs:

Cheers,

Will

Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:00 pm

Nice guitar Ross :happy0065: With 'Centenial', do you allude to the guitar having a similar Vintage Blonde finish as the Centennial C.L.F. ASAT's and L-2500's?

- Jos

Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:16 am

No, that is a 1998 S-500 although many of the parts are older(came that way from G&L). The pickguard and rear plate were made along with the Centennial ASAT pickguards. I added a Tusq string tree too.

Cheers,

Will

Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:29 am

willross wrote:No, that is a 1998 S-500 although many of the parts are older(came that way from G&L). The pickguard and rear plate were made along with the Centennial ASAT pickguards. I added a Tusq string tree too.

Cheers,

Will

Looks good, a very nice thin coat of blonde on that one.

Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:34 pm

Incoming ....

Lefty Invader Plus, circa 2003

by the way ......

it's GREEN !!!

Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:25 am

SouthpawGuy wrote:by the way ......
it's GREEN !!!

... with a very nice looking neck to boot. :happy0065: stargnoC

- Jos

Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:03 pm

Here's a rare one for ya. The only lefty, 6 way, Leo sig with righty neck. I talked to Dale Hyatt about this guitar and he confirmed it left the factory this way.

Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:28 am

Very cool! As a lefty that owns a LH Commanche SH, I know that you indeed have a rare bird there!! One of a kind! 8-)

How does it play?