'07 asat improvements

Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:20 pm

this has sort of been a project guitar for me. bought it a couple years back because i wanted a guitar with a fullerton red finish and i like asat specials.
it's unique for my small collection because it is my only asat with a maple board, 12 in radius, sperzel lockers. it has a bit of wear on the fretboard finish which i don't mind, but the lacquer on the back of the neck has always felt sticky to me. I sanded the lacquer off the back to an ultra smooth plain wood, big improvement as far as playability. it's a #1 Classic C, so chunky to begin with.
I recently installed an asat super pup at the bridge which is overwound and sounds better than the original.
I also topped it off with a tort guard from chandler which i think goes fab with the fullerton red and the cream pup covers.

Re: '07 asat improvements

Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:01 pm

Looks really good. Did you have to send the original guard in to get one made? I have thought of changing my Bluesboy guard but seem to recall there is no template for them.

Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:13 am

thx, Mutts. chandler makes pickguards for usa G&L's, they are different for certain eras, like i think this one was 1997-2011 or so. I believe they actually made them for G&L up until 2016 when G&L brought them in house. They are not cheap, but they are well done. I had to sand the edge a little to get it to fit around the control plate and the neck but that only took 5 min or so.

if you have a tribute, you need to send them a tracing or your pickguard itself.

Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:54 pm

+1 on the ASAT Super pickup in the bridge position! I like the other options on your guitar, too.

I have a Skyhawk that came with the neck finish lightly sanded. I was a little unsure about buying it this way, but it plays well. I don't have a problem with neck finishes, so it's not a deal-breaker for me either way.

Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:46 pm

Hey John,

Nice work and love the Super neck pup. Love a tort guard against that red. Are you liking the 12”? I have become more and more a fan of the #1 Classic C 12” neck. The 7.5 is like an old friend when I play one but feel like the 12” is a faster neck. The Super bridge pup is one of the biggest secrets in the G&L bag o’ tricks! :thumbup:

Working on similar project now as well, updates to come.

Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:15 am

Thx, Tomanche. The new bridge pickup has upped its game as a blues/rock machine. It really drives the amp quite nicely with more snarl. The neck just feels better now, i like the ultra-smooth of the bare wood. I was wondering if I should put a coat of protectant satin sealer on the wood, but i like the feel so much as is, i may not.

Thx, Sam. The neck truly is "fast" for playing lead solos with the 12 radius. My other ones have 7.5 or 9.5, definitely a different feel in a good way. This neck is the same one i have on my comanche, which has great sustain and playability.