Downtuning a Legacy

Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:55 pm

Hello everyone!
I currently have a Legacy, and I absolutely love it. Even though I originally purchased it to be my primary guitar for E Standard tuning, my collection has morphed over time and it now has a blocked tremolo and is tuned to C Standard (sometimes Drop B). I love this guitar and I don't want to replace it, but I am interested in changing the pickups to better suit the drop-tuned metal that gets played on it.
I've considered a set of the EMG S pickups, looked at a number of Seymour Duncan options, but it occurred to me that G&L's MFD pickups might be a perfect option instead. Yes, I could just buy an S-500 but a set of MFDs would be way cheaper and wouldn't involve justifying yet another guitar purchase. And this way it would remain a fully G&L guitar without having to sully it with another maker's parts.
So, I have a few questions:
- Does anyone have any experience using the MFD Single coils or an S-500 for low tunings, especially with very high gain, and if so can you share it?
- Are the S-500 pickups a drop-in replacement? I'm assuming they're the same size as a regular strat/single coil pickup
- Can they be purchased as a set of bridge/rwrp middle/neck?
Thanks!