New Guitar Day - ASAT Classic Bluesboy 90 Semi-Hollow

Fri May 28, 2021 9:48 am

Hi everybody!

I just picked her up yesterday from Dusty Strings here in Seattle, she's gorgeous, and she's just been added to the registry.

The finish is beautiful. There's just a hair less red than my 06 L2500. The neck is perfect, and exactly what I was hoping for with the classic plus C.

I only really needed to give the neck a touch more relief to be happy for my hand.

I was a bit surprised by how little resistance there is on the volume and tone pot, as all of my earlier G&Ls had pots that were... Not stiff, but not nearly as easy to turn. Not a gripe, just an observation. Everything is tight, right, and straight with no fret buzz or weird bridge buzzes. I do need to drop the bridge pickup on the treble side a bit, but overall the pickup balance is pretty good out of the box. The P90 has just a hint of buzz like a good P90 should, and the MFD is pretty quiet, and everything goes silent with both pickups selected. It sounds great.

The only real puzzler, and not a huge deal, is that I ordered it with a vintage tint gloss neck. I knew that they don't recommend it on ash bodies with wood binding because they don't like the match, so I figured they would skip that step or not and I was ready for either. I wanted it to match my 06 L2500 with the same finish. What's puzzling is that the neck was finished in gloss but not the vintage tint, or at least the honey amber tint that I'm used to seeing. The spec sheet indicates it, but the neck itself is very light with a very, very pale yellow tint. Not objectionable, but I'm curious if vintage tint has changed over the years. The bottom pic compares the new neck with my 06. The pic actually shows the bass as being a bit cooler in tone than it is in real life but the ASAT is pretty close.

I love it regardless, it looks and plays great, just one of those mysteries from Fullerton. :)

I am an extremely happy camper.

Re: New Guitar Day - ASAT Classic Bluesboy 90 Semi-Hollow

Fri May 28, 2021 10:23 am

Congratulations! The painted headstock is a great touch.

+1 on the Pro Jr. amp!

Fri May 28, 2021 12:27 pm

Thanks! I now have a (kind of) matched set!

I do like the Pro Jr. but I'm driving south to visit my Dad in a few days to build a Mojotone Champ kit together. I'm pretty excited, he's been wanting to do it for years. He has zero music experience, but he's a retired electronic engineer and he wants to do a project together since I'm not a HAM guy. LOL

I've always wanted a Champ, so I'm stoked to put one together.

Fri May 28, 2021 1:39 pm

Congratulations and talk about fresh off the line! :happy0065:

Build date of 5-20-21 you must have picked her up as they were putting on display. I love matching headstock with on ASAT’s, who knows I may post something soon. :evilgrin:

The P90 in those are sweet. I think they add just enough hair to give character but not overwhelming. Looking forward to hearing more reviews as you play.

Fri May 28, 2021 2:18 pm

beautiful bluesboy 90 semi'! love the finish and colors.
congrats and enjoy.
thanks for the idea, i want altoids on my pedalboard, too :happy0065:
Last edited by john o on Sat May 29, 2021 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri May 28, 2021 2:21 pm

Yeah, it doesn't take very long to get from Fullerton to Seattle. :happy0065:

I was able to get down to the shop pretty soon after they called to tell me it arrived. It feels great, and I've been spending some time dialing in my pedal board with it, with some success. She's a keeper. I wish the neck finish was more amber, but as our muslim brothers say, nothing is perfect but Allah.

I dialed in a bit of relief on the neck since I have hands of stone, and I dropped the treble side of the bridge pickup down a tad, and she's intimated and buzz free. Who can ask for more?

Oh, and she's really light. I don't have a scale to test it, but I am really pleased with the weight.

Fri May 28, 2021 2:23 pm

john o wrote:beautiful bluesboy semi'! love the finish and colors.
congrats and enjoy.
thanks for the idea, i want altoids on my pedalboard, too :happy0065:

Hah! I learned that trick on Reddit. Throw some velcro on an altoids tin and you've got a convenient pick stash!

Thanks, I'm a sucker for brunettes. My current stable is five, and four of them are sunburst.

Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:11 pm

Beautiful, congratulations. Interesting choice going with the white /cream cover on the P90; I like it.

Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:58 pm

mutts wrote:Beautiful, congratulations. Interesting choice going with the white /cream cover on the P90; I like it.

Thanks! Yeah, I felt like it was such a dark guitar with the finish and tortoise guard that the cream P90 would pop. I am really pleased with how it looks!

Cheers,
Chris