Guitar case smell

Thu May 20, 2021 6:52 pm

I have a G&L Comanche (US-made) that I bought in 2014. Since it was new, the case (and to an extent, the guitar itself) has had a smell that I'd guess is lacquer or nitrocelulose or something. I've never smelled that from any other guitars or guitar cases I've had. I've been curious what it is?

I actually like the smell. I think of it similar to a 'new car smell'. It still has some of the smell; perhaps this is silly, but it makes me feel like the guitar has some of its newness from when I bought it.

Re: Guitar case smell

Fri May 21, 2021 1:43 am

CalicoSkies wrote:I have a G&L Comanche (US-made) that I bought in 2014. Since it was new, the case (and to an extent, the guitar itself) has had a smell that I'd guess is lacquer or nitrocelulose or something. I've never smelled that from any other guitars or guitar cases I've had. I've been curious what it is?

I actually like the smell. I think of it similar to a 'new car smell'. It still has some of the smell; perhaps this is silly, but it makes me feel like the guitar has some of its newness from when I bought it.

I've never liked the smell, but always thought (perhaps incorrectly) that it came from the case (maybe the glue) rather than the guitar. If I take the guitar out and leave it out, the smell goes away, but the case would still smell. I've tried to air them out in the fresh air. In the end I've had to sell or trade a couple cases because of the issue.

David